Clutch Engaged?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zexus

Reaction score
I decided to replace the fluid in the clutch today. When I was all done I put the bike in gear, pulled the clutch lever in and tried to roll the bike (bike not running) I discovered it was very difficult to roll, almost like the clutch was not fully engaged. I never did this before so I don't know if that is normal or not. In neutral it roles quite freely but in gear and the clutch in it is far more difficult. I can't start the bike up because it in currently in my basement (wife would have a cow). Anyway, is this normal:confused2:
Thanks

Thanks. Just wasn't sure if maybe I got air in the line and things were off. Thanks again.

anyone who could explain why this is normal ?. Shouldent it be able to roll frealy with clutch pulled in.
I know that it is normal, and i cant push my max when gear either, but i dont understand the reason tbh.

My guess would be because of drag caused by the oil between the clutch plates.
Whilst they will separate when the lever is pulled in there will still be some sticktion and this is what you feel. The resistance should be less when the oil is hot, less viscous thus less sticktion.

A wet clutch has that tendency. A dry clutch, single plate won't have the drag a wet multi-plate clutch does. More of a decoupling of the pressure plate and the friction disc, whwere the wet clutch has oil between plates leading to drag. With the engine running and the clutch pulled-in, the drag is overcome.

I decided to replace the fluid in the clutch today. When I was all done I put the bike in gear, pulled the clutch lever in and tried to roll the bike (bike not running) I discovered it was very difficult to roll, almost like the clutch was not fully engaged. I never did this before so I don't know if that is normal or not. In neutral it roles quite freely but in gear and the clutch in it is far more difficult. I can't start the bike up because it in currently in my basement (wife would have a cow). Anyway, is this normal:confused2:
Thanks
Yes that is normal- I saw 2 wives have 2 cows in a basement :rofl_200:

Back