Clutch issues! (Mini-vmax)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First off I want to thank the admins of this forum by not gatekeeping. I know my yamahey isn’t a vmax, but I don’t know where else to post as there doesn’t seem to be a dedicated fz/x site.

I installed a new set of aramid ebc clutch discs, steels, barnett springs, and even added an extra plate for good measure. Plates are positioned correctly as well as the spring plate, the basket is functional. My clutch still slips when I’m past 8k rpm and near full throttle. Is there something I need to adjust?

The Fazer covers so many years I can't recall if all of them have hydraulic clutches or not. If they do, I'm wondering if you might just have a bit of air in the system that's preventing a complete lockup of the clutch plates at higher RPM, or possibly a slightly worn push rod if it's that old with a lot of miles on it, or maybe your slave cylinder is just corroded a bit and in need of a good cleaning and rebuild.

Hmm, maybe try removing the 'extra friction disc' and see if anything changes? After that, I might try thin shims underneath the Barnett springs to see if that helps? I'd change one thing at a time.

I don't think the bike has a hydraulic clutch. What year is the Fazer?

Here is a re-do of a newer Fazer, and styled like a 1970's Yamaha TZ700/750, the water cooled V4 that dominated AMA roadracing for a decade.

This I believe is the model before being styled as a 1970's 'throwback.'

1715708443232.png

1715707878186.png

1715707932465.png

A good write-up on it here: https://www.bikeexif.com/custom-yamaha-fazer

Here's a smart detail in the design of the fairing, for clearance around the exhaust.

1715708158226.png

Last edited:
I don't think the bike has a hydraulic clutch. What year is the Fazer?
The ones that actually look similar to the Vmax do. I think it's the newer style that didn't.

65e21cd7995a866577015e32.jpg

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/l/yam/500429d0f8700209bc7892d0/1986-fazer-fzx700s-parts

Yes to a wet clutch.

While I see the 'kinda-sorta looks like a VMax' it resembles an FZ750 Genesis, sans bodywork much-more. Different rear suspension, but the chassis layout and the engine of both being a transverse inline-4 show me more family resemblance than it does to the Big Brother VMax. But OK, if you don't mind the differences, they're both Yamahas and at the time, they were a lot of bang for the buck, and if you can find a well-cared for one, they still are today.

1715720954273.png
1715721562553.png

No cable, only hydraulic. I did notice that when I bled off a little pressure, the clutch held together a little better. Still slipped but it was better.
Sorry, not that familiar with the FZR1000.

If it got better when you let off some pressure, then perhaps the spooge hole in clutch master cylinder is plugged? It's a tiny hole in the bottom of the MC resevoir that lets the pressurized fluid back into the resevoir when you release the lever.

Sorry, not that familiar with the FZR1000.

If it got better when you let off some pressure, then perhaps the spooge hole in clutch master cylinder is plugged? It's a tiny hole in the bottom of the MC resevoir that lets the pressurized fluid back into the resevoir when you release the lever.
That might be it! When I took apart the clutch pack earlier yesterday, I noticed that there were glaze marks only in the first half of the pack where the throw out bearing is. That seems like an indication of too much pressure. Also when I had everything put together last night it was somewhat cold and the clutch held under full throttle, the fluid probably didn’t have the chance to heat up and push the clutch. It’s an fzx700, I wish it was a 1000.

Back