Clutch slave rebuild?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakecharmr

Reaction score
Hoping someone has a good "how to" article or even better a video on rebuilding the clutch slave. Bike is an 85. Ordered the rebuild kit today so it will be a week or better before I attempt this.. I've never done this before so the more simple instructions the better.

Hoping someone has a good "how to" article or even better a video on rebuilding the clutch slave. Bike is an 85. Ordered the rebuild kit today so it will be a week or better before I attempt this.. I've never done this before so the more simple instructions the better.

I think I need to rebuild mine as well. Where did you get your rebuild kit from?

I tried rebuilding mine and due to rust and pits in the piston, I just ordered a new one. You can disassemble the slave the same way you do brake calipers, just use a shot of air in the front main line hole while the bleed screw is still installed and it should pop right out. Just make sure you drain the fluid or you'll have a mess on your hands. After that, there are just 2 copper crush washers to replace and 2 rubber seals around the piston, fairly simple.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

I ordered my slave cylinder from partzilla.com for $69 plus shipping. Shipped out fast.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

OEM one was going to bust me for $150.00 after taxes so I figure I'll give a rebuild a go and try to save $130.00 first... Thats a new front tire worth of savings..lol

There are several online discount stores that sell parts more reasonably. K&N in Tulsa and Boats.net are a couple. To get the good price at K&N, have to tell them you are a member of this website. They are 25% over actual cost. Ask for Tyler McDonald. He is the contact. Hopefully he is still there and the discount still applies as I haven't ordered from them in a while.

Hey I too have an 85, just did the clutch mod and rebuilt the slave. Figured it as a preventative for the extra pressure the clutch mod puts on the system. Now I usually
take very detailed pics of all my mods, but the slave was so straight forward it was done
before I knew it. The slave is simple, just make sure you take the time to really clean and
dry it. Key to prevent hours of clutch lever squeezing, make sure the bleeder valve is clear and back bleed the system. I had pressure immediately doing it that way. However if I can guide you in any way feel free to email to [email protected], name is Gent.

Hey I too have an 85, just did the clutch mod and rebuilt the slave. Figured it as a preventative for the extra pressure the clutch mod puts on the system. Now I usually
take very detailed pics of all my mods, but the slave was so straight forward it was done
before I knew it. The slave is simple, just make sure you take the time to really clean and
dry it. Key to prevent hours of clutch lever squeezing, make sure the bleeder valve is clear and back bleed the system. I had pressure immediately doing it that way. However if I can guide you in any way feel free to email to [email protected], name is Gent.

I appreciate the offer.. I'll keep that in mind. Won't get into it till next week now with work and weather.

I see that this is a very old thread. No one mentions any problems with removing the slave cyinder. Neither of my allen head bolts will break loose. I'm afraid I'm going to break them off which, I think, would require removal of the engine.

any suggestions?

Try to apply local heat then let cool and use an impact driver. The heat is to degrade any loctite someone may have put in there.

Back