Coils gone bad?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkyle187

Reaction score
Hello All
Ok here is a copy of the last post.
I just boought a 97 vmax. Stock box & jets. Kerker 4 in 2. 9900 miles.
Problems:
3000-4500rpm blog...Fixed thanx VMAXFORUM!
Rusted gas tank & trash in carbs. New filter, new tank.
Cleaned fuel pump & carbs. Carb sync.
Oil & filter changed. FRAM, Castrol 4 stroke 20w-50
New plugs. NGK
Replaced rear end dope. Val 80-90 Synth. .21 qt
Flushed clutch & brake fluids. DOT3
New fork seals.
New front pads.
Coolant flushed. 50\50
35 MPG. 102-112 miles per tank depending on the forearms cramps.
3800rpm @ 55MPH
V-Boost @ 6700-6800
***THE NEW PROBLEM*****
I get a 2500rpm flutter or flat spot or something...i dont know what it is...like a flubflubflub...not crisp. I can gear down to get over 3400rpm and it goes away. I just RE-sync'ed the carbs last night...I didnt run it, it got to late.
Just got home and decided to the "SHOT GUN" method. If the flutter is still there, what would be my next step?

When I sync the carbs, what order do i sync them in? 1 & 2, 3 & 4? or is 1 the reference carb and you sync 1& 2, 1 & 3, 1 & 4. any help would so kind. Thank You.
Ok the flutter still exist.
New plugs again, new wires, air mix @ 2.5 out, K&N air filter
I have bought a new battery and before I install it, i wanted to check posible firing problems:
All coils read 3.6 ohms on primary and 13.5 Kohms on secondary @ 72 degrees. Is this right? the manual from vmaxoutlaw.com says 2.7 ohms on primary. Could it be that all of my coils are bad?
I wanted to check the pick up coils but the manuals give me different color codes that are not on my bike? can any one help me on this and supply me with the right colors and what colors to check? ex. I have all solid color and none mix colors. Do I check at the plug (white connector) or do I check the TCI unit itself?
Thank you
Tony 7705720084 24/7

Is the low end flutter at WOT or steady throttle? Have you tried the Peashooter yet? Link is listed under Precision Shims in the VMF Links page.
What's your float level? Have you checked for vacuum leaks around the boots?

When I sync I do the left side, then right side, then balance the right to the left. The master carb is the left-front one or #2. When syncing left side you're actually adjusting the #1 carb to the #2.

Have you turned your mixture screws in to make sure they have an effect? The engine idle should drop if you turn them all the way clockwise.

Your coils seem in spec. Mine are usually 3.4 - 3.5 depending on weather. What is the resistance of your plug boots?

You p/u coils have a two wire connector. Earlier models had 5 wires. The color of wires you are looking for are orange and black. Have you checked spark? I would remove plugs and reinsert into the boots. Then ground the plugs by laying them on the valve covers. Turn engine over and make sure each cylinder has a nice blue spark. I bought a spark tester from Advance Auto. That way no need to remove plugs.

Ok yes I have spark to all....to check the pick up coils, there are two plugs that go to the TCI unit. Both of them have a solid orange and solid black wire. I tested the small plug(the one on the left) and got 105 ohm. I checked the other one (the one on the right) and got nothing (zero). So which one do I read? thank you
T

One of them goes to a rear ignition coil and the other to the p/u coil. The one to the p/u coil should go down the frame and along left side near clutch bleeder valve. The p/u coil should read about 110 Ohms so it seems you found the right one. The other is probably reading the ignitor side of the ignition coil.

Can someone tell me in detail how to check the rectifer/regulator and tell me the specs (ohms)? Thank you group!
T

Does your meter have a diode checker?

For the Reading column in the below matrix (O) means continuity, or you should get a low Ohm reading. (X) mean discontinuity or infinite resistance.

Here's the matrix:

Diode Multimeter (+) Multimeter (-) Reading

D1 Red White (1st) O
White (1st) Red X

D2 Red White (2nd) O
White (2nd) Red X

D3 Red White (3rd) O
White (3rd) Red X

D4 White (1st) Black O
Black White (1st) X

D5 White (2nd) Black O
Black White (2nd) X

D6 White (3rd) Black O
Black White (3rd) X

Thank you for your help on that.....last thing to check...Can someone tell me in detail how to check rotor and stator? can you give me specs on it as well?
THANK YOU!!!!!!!
T

ok I got everything specd out and everything i checked was fine...I dropped a new battery in and it is running Great!. Thank you forum and maleko89 for helping me! have a great Labor Day weekend!

Latest posts

Back