Corroded coolant pipe

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDIMD

Reaction score
My mechanic was replacing the valve cover gaskets due to oil leaks and came across this corroded pipe that attaches to the hose from the water pump I believe. Can this be replaced as I cant find the part in the Ronny Microfiche. I have already replaced the radiator and it was a mess. What would the interior of the water jacket in the engine look like? I have flushed it but doubt will ever clean up the corrosion.

The bike runs well and after I changed the radiator, ran much cooler.coolant pipe.jpg coolant pipe.jpg

The only external connection from the water pump is a plastic right angle that goes to the thermostat.
This then goes to the drain cock that connects to the radiator.

What you have shown is (as far as I know) an integral part of the cylinder head and the hose goes to the pressure cap manifold.

You would need to remove the head and depending on how much steel is left braise a new part in but this isn't without the risk of introducing distortion.
It may be better to cut your losses and seek out a 'pre loved' head.

Moral of this story 'ALWAYS USE CORROSION INHIBITOR!'

Well, I had no ideal on what I got into after buying a 20 year old bike at the time. Hard to tell how little maintenance the previous owner performed. Just trying to fix it now. Since I am in the Philippines, used parts are hard to come by.

You can possibly remove that old fitting (it's pressed in) and then tap it out and use a threaded fitting with hose connector back in it's place. It will take some effort to do and might be able to be done in the bike but probably easier with the engine removed (but still assembled).

Being in remote areas of the world limits your options on parts I guess.
If thats the case, I'd clean up that rusty nub, find a piece of thin wall pipe that fits over that tightly and install with some retaining compound and see if it holds water.

Being in remote areas of the world limits your options on parts I guess.
If thats the case, I'd clean up that rusty nub, find a piece of thin wall pipe that fits over that tightly and install with some retaining compound and see if it holds water.

That is the plan for now. Just looking at some of the heads on Ebay for sale. Most of the pipes are pretty rusty or corroded. Seems Yamaha must have used some poor grade steel or no one changes coolant in these bikes.

Last edited:
Seems Yamaha must have used some poor grade steel or no one changes coolant in these bikes.

I think it is the latter.
That is the problem with calling it Antifreeze particularly in parts of the world where this isn't an issue.
I suspect the thought process goes something like 'It don't freeze here so I don't need to change it'.

Got two pipes from a donor. Pressed back in with some epoxy to seal and hope its good for another 25 years. I do change the coolant with 50% mix. water pipe.jpg

NICE! Yeah, if you want to ride an older bike sometimes ya gotta get creative. Good luck brother! Let us know how your fix holds up...

Back