Cross country trip!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalArts

Reaction score
My cousin(basically my older brother) and I want to take a trip from where we are in Maryland over to Ocean City then head over to the other shiny sea!

This wouldn't be until mid this summer and we've both started saving (if only pennies, right now. Procrastination is a bitch :bang head: )

Anyway, any tips or advice that we can imbibe in advance?! We definitely want to see cool stuff like the grand canyon and stay off the highway if we can.

1) Time to expect it to take?
2) Time it will actually take?
3) Unexpected costs? (We have the basic food/gas/gear type stuff)
4) Where to sleep?
5) What and where to eat?
6) How many hours of realistic riding per day?
7) Anything else you can think of?

Thanks for all your help and advice, guys!

Read here..

http://www.longdistanceriders.net/resources/

Hyper-miler pro riders can do the ride fast and dirty with hours of slab. If you don't want to do that, I'd actually ask on the goldwing board gl1800riders.com or on advrider.com. There are sections on both boards with routes for pretty much anything you can imagine.

Staying off major highways as much as possible. I'd expect to not cover more than about 350 miles a day with 250 being more reasonable. This is especially if you're going to have lots of destinations.

Take lots of pics, pack extra fuel, and post the story.

My cousin(basically my older brother) and I want to take a trip from where we are in Maryland over to Ocean City then head over to the other shiny sea!

This wouldn't be until mid this summer and we've both started saving (if only pennies, right now. Procrastination is a bitch :bang head: )

Anyway, any tips or advice that we can imbibe in advance?! We definitely want to see cool stuff like the grand canyon and stay off the highway if we can.

1) Time to expect it to take?
2) Time it will actually take?
3) Unexpected costs? (We have the basic food/gas/gear type stuff)
4) Where to sleep?
5) What and where to eat?
6) How many hours of realistic riding per day?
7) Anything else you can think of?

Thanks for all your help and advice, guys!

You need to replace or modify your stock seat. After knowing that the bike is mechanically sound.......that would be #1 on my list.

You need to replace or modify your stock seat. After knowing that the bike is mechanically sound.......that would be #1 on my list.

I have an older model corbin on there right now, it'd comfortable but I definitely need highway pegs on the crash bars if I'm going to keep the Vgas carbs with the corbin seat haha

Read here..

http://www.longdistanceriders.net/resources/

Hyper-miler pro riders can do the ride fast and dirty with hours of slab. If you don't want to do that, I'd actually ask on the goldwing board gl1800riders.com or on advrider.com. There are sections on both boards with routes for pretty much anything you can imagine.

Staying off major highways as much as possible. I'd expect to not cover more than about 350 miles a day with 250 being more reasonable. This is especially if you're going to have lots of destinations.

Take lots of pics, pack extra fuel, and post the story.

Thanks for the link! I'll check out those two forums sometime and see what suggestions they have. I did always like the goldwings.

Thanks for the miles estimate!

And for sure I will do!

I have an older model corbin on there right now, it'd comfortable but I definitely need highway pegs on the crash bars if I'm going to keep the Vgas carbs with the corbin seat haha

Corbin is very good.....highway pegs are not a bad idea.

I'd say having insurance is a good idea. If you wear glasses take an extra pair. If you use Rx, take more than you need w/you. Since this is going to be a return trip too, choose different routes to maximize your scenery. Hostels are one way to get cheap accomodations.

Big cities are usually expensive.

Get electric heated riding gear which may not be of much use if you travel in August. Cycle Gear has some good, affordable stuff. A good all-weather jacket w/options of layering & armor is a must, same w/waterproof boots/gloves, & a pair of lighter sneakers for off-the-bike use. A good packing system which is waterproof and secure on the bike is necessary.

If you don't have a digital camera, get one and extra memory.

I agree w/the lower mileage estimates, you want to have fun and to see things. The National Motorcycle Museum in Iowa and the Barber Motorsports Museum are two places you may wish to devote a day to, each.

Having an alternative power source outlet on your bike will keep your phone charged, or allow use of a GPS. Be sure it's fused. Also consider a helmet communications system of some sort, you don't have to be talking constantly but it does make for easier communications w/your traveling companion. There are devices which allow you to work a touch screen while underway, but be aware these are all distractors, and you need to be aware of your surroundings.

Make lists, be flexible, and have a source of extra cash/ credit if you need it.

After 2 hours of riding, my arse was screaming for relief. I had to get one of these..
Made things tolerable. Not perfect, but I was able to ride much longer.

http://www.saddlemen.com/saddlegel™-comfort-pad-original-soft-stretch-cover-large-universal

I also use one of these on the VMax. I do not use the strap, held on only by butt pressure.
It's a necessary piece of comfort.
Per the expected mileage in a day , figure 2 - 300 miles per with sensible rest stops (2 of those will be for fuel with the VMax).
Have a great time , do the upper part (to Tupelo) of the Natchez Trace if you can fit it in..
WW

Back