Decieded to Rebuild

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockertom

Reaction score
I went to Jennings with my Blackbird a week ago. Had a great time out there. Got me to thinking. I bet I could have an absolute riot out here on my max. Just because I like to be different from the norm. Do an R1 fork conversion. Since I already have the forks. Change out the wheels to 17inch for better handling. ANd tire choices. Well that made up my mind. So last night I dug out the engine cases. Gave them a quick bath. Clean them up some for handling and finish honing out the cylinders for the oversize rings. I am not going to do anything internal from stock. Pretty much put it back together. Here is the start of it. The cases, semi clean. Going to be working on it a little at a time in the evenings. As time allows.

Attachments

• Engine Cases.jpg
    Engine Cases.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 83
Sounds like a great plan rockertom ! You've just gotten past the hardest part to doing this .... getting started ! :clapping:
Keep us posted on your progress.

You can't just hone for oversize rings. I might have a set of OEM oversize pistons and rings on hand I could sell you (and we could even do the bore work). We of course sell a few different aftermarket pistons too.

Sean

You can't just hone for oversize rings. I might have a set of OEM oversize pistons and rings on hand I could sell you (and we could even do the bore work). We of course sell a few different aftermarket pistons too.

Sean

Actually, I would love to do the 1260 bore while it is at this stage. If you can bore and supply the pistons and rings for this. Shoot me a pm with pricing.

I was under the impression that buying the Yamaha oversize rings. Would work on the OEM pistons by honing to the 3" rings.

Nope, need to bore for the oversize pistons. If you just try to put the rings on there isn't enough ring support and the engine will fail very quickly. It's easier if I email you a few engine build sheets so you can see all the costs/options.

Having said that, many times you can simply put a new hone to the bore and it will still be withing stock specs and allow you to put new rings in it and reuse the old pistons (which clean up very nicely using plastic blasting media). You'll be a lot cheaper that way.

Bore and pistons add up quickly.

What happened to the engine in the first place? If it spun a bearing the crank thrust surfaces need to be inspected. They are located in the upper case half.
[email protected]

Here's the Yamaha p/n from my new rings.
1FK-11610-10

I'll check the ring gap later tonight or tomorrow.

Well slowly been working on it. Spent some good time today though. Already to bolt the cases back together. New bearings and rings installed. New cam chains on also. After I get the cases back together, I'll tape off the machined surfaces and give the block a fresh coat of paint. Can't have the motor looking dull with a new painted chassis. Pics of the chassis to come later. They are under cover and out of the way at the moment.

I had thought about having it bored out. But I changed my mind and decieded to stay with the stock set up. Money was a big factor in that. As I had already spend the money on the stock replacement parts.

Attachments

• Lower case1.jpg
    Lower case1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 41
  • lower case2.jpg
    lower case2.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 42
  • upper case1.jpg
    upper case1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 44
  • bench1.jpg
    bench1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 42
one day i will be as smart as all of you engine modders. this aspect of modding is so effin cool!

Back