Define "warming the bike up" before riding

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partenr

Reaction score
So here's a theory on "warming up" an engine:

I think we can all agree that the vast majority of any engine's wear occurs at startup. Why? Because, at startup, engines operate momentarily with low or no oil pressure. In reality, once engines are running, the metal surfaces do not contact one another. If they did, the parts would last about 10 minutes. They are seperated by a layer of oil molecules as soon as the engine has been running for a few seconds.

With this in mind, I belive there is no harm in riding my bike under minimum load conditions soon after starting it. Yes, there are clearances that improve when the engine heats up. But putting down the street hardly puts any more stress on the crank/pistons than a fast idle in the driveway.

I've seen people run their bike for 10 minutes before putting it in gear. I suspect this just wastes gas and time.

Does anyone have evidence/argument for or against this theory?

Ok I'll bite, I might get kicked in the ding ding for it but oh well.

1. Don't put a lot of RPM's on it while "warming it up"

2. To "warm up" an engine you need heat, heat will come more rapidly from a load exerted then just at idle.

3. Install an Oil pressure gauge and drive it nice till the pressure drops and your oil is nice and "warmed up"

4. My Vmax will sputter and hesitate for a few miles if I don't give her 2-3 "warm up" minutes when it's cold out, I think it's safer to give it those 2-3 minutes before I adventure out on the streets.

P.S. This is one of my first technicial advise posts so ignore it!

I don't think it hurts the bike one little bit to putt-putt down the street to warm it up versus sitting there idling for how ever long it takes. I try to keep mine under 4000rpm for the first few miles.

I do know that when I used to let it sit and warm up for 3-5 minutes before riding off that it made a huge difference in gas mileage. Thing sucks gas like crazy at idle.

You would be surprised how long it does actually take before the oil gets warm and the pressure drops back down.Its at least 2 miles maybe more.More like 4.

I always take it ez for a while - like the above post said, I too keep it under 4000 and then when I feel it has hit it's normal operating temp - then I'll giver after that. I don't really let it idle more than 2min. after a cold start.

my 2 cents, IMHO. :banana:

actually, you don't want to wait much more then 20-30 seconds (ideally) before you start driving (appling a load). Of course you want to ride under 50% of rpm until engine is warmed up (unless you are looking for maximum power).

By letting the engine idle with no real load on it you are building up excessive carbon deposits. This doesn't mean to immediately start pounding on it. It does take quite some time for the oil to reach temperature.

Sean Morley

As far as oil goes; my ride to work is 21 miles, It usually takes about 9-10 miles before my oil pressure is as low as it will get at idle which I consider at that point to be full operating temp.

Ditto on the carbon deposit thing also. I let mine idle so much just drooling over how good it sounded that when I had the carbs off I could see pretty bad deposits on the intake valves. It has since gone away (with the help of Techron additive) since I quit letting it idle all the time.

Rusty

Back