Different diferentials

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livinthelife

Reaction score
Has anyone used a diferential from a virago or xv with the 2.9 ratio. I saw the post where it showed all the info on yamaha final drives. Seems like you could get one to work. I know that would be really tall geared but it would be nice for trips no drag racing! I know a 86 thru 93 venture will bolt on but I was wanting even less rpm at highway speed. I dont have the money for the OD 5th conversion.

I have a Vstar drive unit that I can try to install into a Vmax housing if you are interested. I think that it actually has the correct input housing for the driveshaft. It will affect all the gears as you noted.

Sean

Hey Sean got that motor in runs great but man that dale walker exhaust sure is loud going down the road. I repacked the cans did'nt seem to make much difference. Sounds awsome at idle though. I was wondering if a person could swap internals. Does the v star have the 2.9 ratio?

I checked the notes on here and it shows it should. I will know when I look at it again.

Sean

I looked at something similar years ago but the seca/maxim diffs have different wheel spline engagmeents. I need to verify the star diff I have. I think it is the same. The case is different and will need the guts moved over (not an easy task to get it setup right).

We normally would not look for this much change since it will seriously hurt performance on low end. We would like to find a few rear diffs the other way so we can get more accelleration.

We even priced custom gears but that is waaaayyyy expensive.

Sean

I would like to talk with someone who has tried the 2.9 ratio. Surely the vmax has enough torqe to still run pretty quick with that gearing. I would hate to spend money on somethig that would turn it into a pig. I guess I could swap back to the vmax housing. Then try a venture pumpkin I guess just wanting more than a 500 rpm drop.

In drag testing the venture diff killed .3 off the quarter time. Not a huge number when looking at just the number but it's more then you would think. Top speed increases obviously. I don't think anyone has tried it. I am sure I can get this star diff stuff to swap over but as I sad, we are more into speed on our bikes but we build them for anyones taste.

Sean

I'm planning on using the Venture diff on my drag bike. With a 40 shot of NOS I was bouncing off my rev limiter in 3rd (in the 1/8 mile) and may have hit the limiter a few times in 4th gear in the 1/4. I think most people that have done the venture diff swap can't really tell much of a difference in acceleration, just a lower cruising RPM. I'm sure there will be a few that will speak up that have first hand knowledge.

Before I got Sean's fith gear OD I was using the Venture diff. Just a tad slower when really getting on it but just cruising around town you really couldnt tell the difference but......
The lower RPM on the highway was much nicer than stock, one wouldnt think that a 10% decrease in RPM was much but I am here to tell you it was nice, especially for one like me who commutes on their bike. It took it out of that buzzzy range and dropped into the sweet spot.
Cheers

Though the spline engagement is the same the offset is wrong. I could move everything over but the cushdrive just isn't going to work (at least for the years I looked at online for the cushdrive type).

Sean

I would like to talk with someone who has tried the 2.9 ratio. Surely the vmax has enough torqe to still run pretty quick with that gearing. I would hate to spend money on somethig that would turn it into a pig. I guess I could swap back to the vmax housing. Then try a venture pumpkin I guess just wanting more than a 500 rpm drop.

I know it's not the same, but here's a similiar experience...

My Honda XR650L Dual sport only makes about 37hp and 37 torque or thereabouts

The stock gearing was 15/45 front/back sprockets, which is a 3:1 final drive ratio,

That was good for 2nd gear throttle only wheelies, and 3rd gear you could "clutch" it up, you could also let it "tractor" along in 1st at 3-4 miles per hour, great for trails....
But it was only good for 65 "comfortably", more than that and it felt like you were killing the poor engine, kinda like a Max sounds when your not used to a Max, although it would go all the way to 95-97 if you didn't mind the high RPM's.

I've gone all the way up to 15/40 now, which is a 2.6666 ratio, which gives about a 12% reduction in RPMs at speed, and now it's comfortable at 85mph, it will still run 95mph, and still pulls easy no clutch wheelies in 1st gear but not in 2nd without using the clutch.......

I don't get off-road with it except for haulin ass on dirt and gravel roads so the loss of the ability to creep along at 3-4mph without being all over the clutch isn't a big deal. that's something that's needed for tight trails and technical stuff..

It also seems faster to highway speed since it's not winding to the moon so quickly between gears and making me shift so fast to keep up...... Although I know it's slower.

If I wasn't drag racing I'd do a venture rear end on my Max in second........

Rusty

I'll try to look at what I can on the XS850 that's in the shop. I'll know pretty quick based on the wheel spline offset.

Sean

Back