Disappointing 3 Cylinder Wonder

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blurr

Reaction score
Great Forum you guys got here. Truly impressed with what I've stumbled across. Head and shoulders above the official forums for usability and general knowledge level of the contributers. I've been digging through it for the last 4 months and was so impressed I set up an account. That brings the grand total of forums I am member of to, lets see, one.

Finally found a problem that I wasn't able to find an answer to by doing a forum search, so I have a reason to speak up. Lucky me.

Found this problem while out riding with some friends after I walked out of a diner on Sunday afternoon get-to-gether. Recently I noticed what was a smooth idling bike was now slowly dropping RPM till it died. Closer inspection showed at start up the header pipe from cylinder 2 is ice cold (in Alaska so ya, Ice Cold) while idling. Pulled the plug and it showed some discoloration but certainly wasn't fouled. It was certainly getting fire(ask me how I know).

But on the ride to the diner I wasn't at a loss for power. Nor on the ride back, but I did notice some popping and smallest of hesitation around 3-4grand. Once I got home I checked the No.2 header and it wasn't cold anymore.

I figured this must be a carb problem. There, I've exhausted my mechanical aptitude. I am fairly professorial as a 'Parts Changer' but I'm not 'Mechanic' enough to know witch ones would be the most likely to need to be changed. Short of starting at the top of the list and working down...well, given that I am much more a computer whiz then mechanical wonder child I'm wondering what I should look at first.

Sounds like the idle jet on the offending carb is blocked.

If one has blocked then there is the possibility that the other may go that way so try running some carb cleaner through first as that is the easiest and if it works...
No idea which ones are available where you are so will let others make their recommendations.

If that doesn't work the it's the Shotgun for you millado.

I'm a fan of Seafoam, pour the recomended amount in the gas tank and do some riding. You might get lucky with this easy way out, good luck and welcome to the forum.

Yea both Shotgun and Peashooter could help you. Just do a quick search here to find the info - the former involves shooting a bit of carb cleaner and compressed air in various carb holes (all done in situ) and the latter a bit of SeaFoam also into carbs but with engine running.

If all fails, you can always refer to my carbs rebuild threads in the carb forum here - shows you how to take 'em apart and replace/rebuild in pictures, and it really isn't that difficult! If you still feel it to be beyond your ability, then there are a few here (maleko, one2dmax) who you can simply send your carb rack to and they'll do it all for you.

BUT, before any of this, do make sure that all four spark plugs are giving a good spark! They're cheap to replace, and also the coils, HT leads and spark plug caps can often be the culprits. That's why a lot of us do away with them and fit COPs (Coils Over Plugs). Also more often than not, it's just the ends of the HT leads that are corroded, need about 1/4" cut off and re-screwing into coils and spark plug caps.

Welcome to this VMax Forum. Greatest people around are here. There's nothing that someone can't help with. You have answers that about cover everything above.. Good Luck..

KJShover lives in Alaska and is very knowledgeable. I don't know how close to Fairbanks you are. My Son and Family also live there too....

Put the bike in a dark place and start it up. Inspect all the spark plug wires and see if any are arcing to ground. My Magna had a similar issue, turned out to be lousy wires...new set fixed it.

If that's not it, try some sea-foam. It's available at any auto store and usually wal mart has it too. Use like 1/2 a can per tank for two tanks, which usually seems to give good results.

If that still doesn't work, do the shotgun/peashooter.

Thanks guys, our local IP provider ACS, has had me offline for a few days but I was fully expecting to have a few responses when I got back. You do not disappoint!

Headed out to the store to see if I can't find some Seafoam now. Thanks for the heads up. I'll also look into the condition of the coils/wires, though I really do like the coil over plug idea. Somehow I never ran across that in all the dark nights of winter spent googling everything vmax.

I sent KJShover a PM and he did respond. As for how close He is, I'm in Kenai so it would be an 11 hour one way trip just to drop by for some coffee... 40 degrees here = riding season is open. 14 degrees in fairbanks, well, He could still ride His Vmax; supposing He has a 600cc one.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back