drive away clunk

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedfreke

Reaction score
I just recently bought my first vmax which also happens to be the first shaft driven bike I have ever had, my question is this: when I am coming out of a turn or accel after a decel there is a pretty noticeable clunk, almost as if there was too much backlash or a worn u-joint, the bike is a 2k with just over 13k miles, I am the second owner, the original owner was a 56yr old
weekend joy rider so I am fairly sure it hasn't been "overly" abused. is this
normal or is there something I can check that may be a culprit

thanks
Richard

It's possible there is something broken. First thing to maybe check would be the differential. Seems like there has been a few of them lately. The tend to break on the pinion nut under where the driveshaft engagement splines are.

Sean

Richard, not normal at all.

Is the diff really hot after a ride? If you put it on the center stand and spin the tire does the diff make a lot of noise? If so, I would remove the rear diff and make sure the nut holding the pinion gear isn't busted.

If the diff checks out remove the tire and swing arm to inspect drive shaft and u joint.

Thanks guys, I will check to see if I hear any excessive noise from it tonight

Richard

okay, I put the bike on the center stand and spun the rear tire, I didnt hear anything that sounded abnormal to me, it is more of a clunk feeling than a noise, i will check the diff temp when i get to the shop in the morning. if i end up needing to pulling the swing arm to check u-joint how hard is that to do?

thanks
Richard

Based on the low mileage and mild use, I expect it is just normal drivetrain lash. When I go from my chain drive Suzuki to the Max, it seems to make more noise (a clunk) and has more noticeable slack when shifting. Unless you and I have the same problem, I suspect you are OK. Just my opinion.....

if not used to a shaft bike....there is a bit more clutch controll involved in keeping the rear end smooth

I got to the shop this morning and checked the diff temp with my hand thermometer, it was warm but not scalding hot or anything crazy. maybe I just need to get used to the shaft drive and having to clutch the bike more

thanks guys
Richard

Latest posts

Back