Dyna3000 Dynatek 85-89 Ignitions are discontinued

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubeerjw

Reaction score
O.k. many of you probably already know this, but Dynatek has stopped making ignitions for the 85-89 Vmax. I talked to a guy named Larry, and he was a great person to talk with. I called them since my ignition is acting up and I was trying to see if they had any similar complaints. When I had my bike on the dyno a while back, my rev-limiter was set at 9500, but the ignition cut out at 8000. We moved the rev-limiter to 10000, and then the bike cut out at 8500. We moved the rev-limiter even higher but it didn't make a difference. Last Friday, my shift light was working for my first pass, but stopped from then on and it felt like the bike wasn't hitting high RPMs.

I told my story to Larry (from Dynatek) and he asked if I could send the ignition in and they could at least test it for me. Since they don't make them anymore, I asked if maybe they could possibly exchange it with a later model version... that way, I could change out the flywheel and stator, cover, and pickups with a later model and get back on the road. Maybe this is a perfect time to look at different ignitions and talk with Mark and Gary to find out what other options there are.

Yea, even if you use the ignition and not the EFI it might be the way to go. I wonder if I can find the parts you need to convert to different pickup and dyna 200. I know I have the info to use twin dyna 200's which have a two step on them.

Sean

Is there a way to utilize the newer (90-07) CDI or ecu to work on the older 85-89 model maxes? I've been trying to find one of these but no luck!

Is there a way to utilize the newer (90-07) CDI or ecu to work on the older 85-89 model maxes? I've been trying to find one of these but no luck!

Definitely not. You would need to change a LOT more parts including your stator and pickup coils. The old one is analog, the new one is digital.

They do pop up every now and then on fleaBay, you have to be patient and keep looking..

I had a few units repaired but not sure how good they are yet. I was debating selling them on exchange basis.

You can convert your bike over but you need the harness and about every electrical part on the bike (at least a hell of a lot of them). You also need the flywheel and pickup coil (electrical part). I do have a 2003 I am parting out I could set you up with. Email me if you want to get that deep into it.

[email protected]

Back