Electronic Ignition

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nibsy

Reaction score
Hi all, 👋

What is the advantage(s) of replacing the stock ignition set-up with an Ignitech or Dyno system?

cheers,

Pete

Adjustability, the dyna offers I believe 3 ignition maps to choose from. The ignitech offers almost infinite options and includes an adj. rev limiter, you can also Controll the vboost and adjust opening rpm as well as the rpm range it takes to go from closed to fully open. You can also add features like shift light. The ignitech has a few other features .

Last edited:
Price new is a good reason, the options VMAXXIMUM mentioned, and I think it is more reliable than OEM. especially if running COPS with the early analog units.

It's DYNA, just so you understand if you go shopping for one. Both the early model with dip switches and the later one have rev limiters. I think a rev limiter is important on these bikes. The big ends and the rods/thrust bearings can and have had issues, so limiting the ability to over-rev is an important way to preserve the life of the bike.

The Ignitech has more settings which can be incorporated, like running the VBoost, and accommodating different power-adders and things like quick-shifters.

The early '85-'89 ignition seems to have issues while running COP's if the load presented to the ignition box isn't the same as the OEM , due to the impedance of the ignition sticks used. That's what the anecdotal evidence has shown, multiple times, from people on here complaining about the failure of their OEM ignitions while running COP's, without taking the resistance being identical into consideration.

IMO if the bike is running OK then there will be very little noticeable benefit.
I take Mr Medics point about the benefits of a rev limiter but in all of the years I've been on this and other sites it hasn't cropped up that often as a problem.

If you start making performance enhancements the the Ignitech may help you maximise the benefits but given the range of adjustments it also increases the potential to get it wrong.

Sean has mentioned multiple times about avoiding over-revving the VMax. Anything of relatively low-cost like an ignition box having a rev-limiter which can prevent me from lunching an engine costing thousands to replace is a good return on investment. A few hundred dollars vs $1K+ for a stock used engine, or if you have a modded engine, many, many thousands of dollars.

Playing like this costs $$$$:

VMax 1508 cc big valves.jpgVMax 1508 cc cams-Suzuki followers.jpgVMax 1508 cc pistons.2.jpgVMax LCR Performance chain-drive.jpgVMax NOS 1500 cc.jpgVMax supercharged.01.jpeg

I have no big-bore engine to protect, no turbo, no supercharger. However, I believe that for my riding, a rev-limiter gives me peace of mind. And protects my engine.

Some useful and interesting information there folks.......many thanks.

It's DYNA, just so you understand if you go shopping for one. Both the early model with dip switches and the later one have rev limiters. I think a rev limiter is important on these bikes. The big ends and the rods/thrust bearings can and have had issues, so limiting the ability to over-rev is an important way to preserve the life of the bike.

The Ignitech has more settings which can be incorporated, like running the VBoost, and accommodating different power-adders and things like quick-shifters.

The early '85-'89 ignition seems to have issues while running COP's if the load presented to the ignition box isn't the same as the OEM , due to the impedance of the ignition sticks used. That's what the anecdotal evidence has shown, multiple times, from people on here complaining about the failure of their OEM ignitions while running COP's, without taking the resistance being identical into consideration.

When you refer to the 'early 85-89 ignition' what do you mean exactly? the black box or the pick-up and stator assembly?
Also, how do you differentiate the early components from later ones?
My bike is cobbled together from parts so it's difficult to say exactly what year it is.

cheers.

Yes, yes and yes.

If it has twin pick-ups it is the '85 to '89 set-up. (Probably) the easiest way to check which you have is to see how many wires come out from the alternator - 4 + 1 = early, 2 + 2 = late.
The later bikes has what Yamaha describe as 'digital' ignition. I've never seen any direct comparisons that measure the difference between them in terms of power/ torque, emissions or fuel consumption.
I suspect that us mere mortals would notice very little, if any difference between them.

Regarding a rev limiter then if it gives peace of mind that is good. However, as I've already said, over the fifteen years that I've been on this forum it's rarely mentioned as problem nor are any other issues that cause major problems with the engine. As far as I'm concerned they are pretty well bullet proof provided reasonable care is taken.

If you have 2 leads for the pickup coil, late-model '90-'07

VMax pick-up coil 1990-2007 late models 2 wires.jpg

Five wires, early model '85-'89

VMax pick-up coil 1985-89 early models 5 wires.jpg

Ignition boxes are different, crankshaft rotors are different, wire looms are different.

If you have 2 leads for the pickup coil, late-model '90-'07

View attachment 84341

Five wires, early model '85-'89

View attachment 84340

Ignition boxes are different, crankshaft rotors are different, wire looms are different.

Thanks for the above info. I think I must have an early ignition system. I have the harness connector socket with the colours;-
white/green
grey
orange
white/red
black

however, the plug that is connected to this socket has 5 cores, all of which are white. I’m guessing this is a two pick-up early system yes? A bit confusing as the bike is a 92 registration. The frame is 2EN and the engine is 2WE. 🤷‍♂️

The engine is a 1988 USA market bike. [2WE] Yes to the early ignition.

2EN [frame] I see is a France-market bike from either 1986 or 1988, to begin, but I also see 2EN shown for multiple years and countries. Check the chart. I suggest checking your frame VIN to this chart and that may help narrow the origin of the bike (for what market it was intended to be sold). Is there the steering headset sticker on the frame? What does it say?
1989-1993 [France]
and many more.

See post #31:
(104) Vin number | Page 2 | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

I don't see 2WE [engine] and 2EN [frame] listed anywhere on this resource for the same year. You apparently have a metisse (mongrel) which apart from ordering parts isn't a problem.

Last edited:
The engine is a 1988 USA market bike. [2WE] Yes to the early ignition.

2EN [frame] I see is a France-market bike from either 1986 or 1988, to begin, but I also see 2EN shown for multiple years and countries. Check the chart. I suggest checking your frame VIN to this chart and that may help narrow the origin of the bike (for what market it was intended to be sold).
1989-1993 [France]
and many more.

See post #31:
(104) Vin number | Page 2 | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

I don't see 2WE [engine] and 2EN [frame] listed anywhere on this resource for the same year. You apparently have a metisse (mongrel) which apart from ordering parts isn't a problem.

Yes it’s definitely a ‘Frankenstein’s monster’ all right. Is the DYNA 3000 system compatible with my set-up? and does it take over the role of the Vboost control?

DYNA will have an early model/5-wire ignition box. No it does not replace the OEM VBoost control. It does have a rev-limiter.

I'm pretty-sure Ignitech can be used for the early models, though I believe they also have the different listings for the early ignition vs the 2-wire later ignition. Ask Sean Morley about the Ignitech applications [email protected]

Where does your 2EN VIN # on the steering head fall by intended country for sale, off that chart I posted? Tell us the year and the country.

DYNA will have an early model/5-wire ignition box. No it does not replace the OEM VBoost control. It does have a rev-limiter.

I'm pretty-sure Ignitech can be used for the early models, though I believe they also have the different listings for the early ignition vs the 2-wire later ignition. Ask Sean Morley about the Ignitech applications [email protected]

Where does your 2EN VIN # on the steering head fall by intended country for sale, off that chart I posted? Tell us the year and the country.

It’s showing as a 3LR5 France ’92 model, colour code RES,…whatever that means. I know for sure that it’s not the original motor. Also, It appears to be a later model bike but with the earlier model ignition system.

RES is a 1992 color, Red-E Sparkle, which happens to be the color of my USA-market 1992, also. You already know the 2WE engine's year. The bike has an early ignition, which means early wire harness, early engine ignition box, early crankshaft rotor, not sure about the stator.

Last edited:
Ahh right ok. Well it was silver when I bought it, although the log book said it was black. I have recently had it sprayed in Caesium blue which is a Jaguar Land Rover colour.

Latest posts

Back