Engine guards

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic981

Reaction score
With all the recent guys going down on their bikes, it's led me to realize that I would like to get some engine guards for my 09. Has anyone purchased these or know a good place to get them? Thanks!

Think there is an aftermarket company making some that look
like the originals for about 100 bones on ebay.
Chris

With all the recent guys going down on their bikes, it's led me to realize that I would like to get some engine guards for my 09. Has anyone purchased these or know a good place to get them? Thanks!

Havent come across any but i did see this , you might like .

Attachments

• fathermaro-img338x600-125516660520091010182324.jpg
    fathermaro-img338x600-125516660520091010182324.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 137
  • fathermaro-img338x600-125516652020091010182200.jpg
    fathermaro-img338x600-125516652020091010182200.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 129
BTW, some of us were born southpaw... & our PARENTS made us

overcome it...

Hi Medic,
I too would like to install some guards, Once this bike starts listing it's not gonna be upright long:a014: Unfortunately none exist yet.. I have searched pretty hard.

starvmax.com member has designed some & is starting to take preorders...

1600$ i think

Sorry man, but the crack is flowing way to heavy over there for me. Good luck selling the 5 sets he wants to make. What he needs to do is contract that setup to a CNC bending shop to make the tubing. Probably lazer cut all the flat pattern parts for $100 or so. Not sure what his tubing cost would be. Then get a better welder to weld it all together. Then, the setup he has should work fine for a tip over at the house but anything underway and I think they are going to pretzel up and not do a dang thing to keep parts from being shredded. Not only that but I wonder if the mounting points will rip out and then you now get to buy a set of engine cases.

Sean

These are the only viable options I'm aware of, and they're still pretty pricey.

09VMAX_FrameSlider_L2.jpg

09VMAX_EngSlider_L1.jpg

I agree with Sean on everything except for the last statement. Yes, the crash bar will start to "pretzel" at crashing speeds above standing still and absorb the force of impact in the process. This is the purpose they are built for. As for the integrity of the motor mounting points, the “A” shaped steel plate, to which the tubes are welded, will act as a reinforcement of the motor mounting points, keeping them intact in an event of a crash. Of course at some point the force of impact will spring the crash bar far enough for the motor parts to come in contact with the pavement. What ever force it takes to do it to a 1” OD x 0.624 ID steel tubes. And note that the crash bar does not attach to the motor, but to the most rigid parts of the frame. And now there is a $400 version of that crash bar available: http://gpsforless.stores.yahoo.net/crbarasforge.html

gpsforless_2093_318493

As for “Sato Racing”, pair of “Engine Sliders” ($199) is good-looking and functional to some extent. But as the bike slides on its side along the pavement, would the threads in the motor holding the sliders be safe? And note that the motor body absorbs the force of impact (thru the hard mounted sliders) at the moment of impact.
And take a closer look at pair of “Frame Sliders” ($220). Good looking too. Wait! What are they supposed to protect and, what’s more important, how? How much force will it take to break the black (aluminum?) piece they are attached to? How fast a 640Lb bike sliding on its side can develop that force? And if that piece is made out of steel, than it will probably damage the motor mounting points in the event of a crash.

Last edited:
I just read the thread and he is going to make a cheaper version for about $400 in addition to the SS $1600 one. He was going to start shipping them in March but there is nothing since.

I need one of these new V Maxes...

EDIT:
Sorry, just checked his site and he has discontinued production due to lack of interest.

Back