engine paint?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copilot777

Reaction score
Ok I would like to know if anyone here has painted there complete engine ?

and if so , what kind of paint ?
how well is it holding up ?
what did you use to prep the engine for the paint?
Jason:ummm:

This job can either help or make it look like a turd.
Of course in a perfect world with no time limit we would remove the engine, disassemble the engine, have the cases soda blasted and than have them painted and backed.
Ok, I have used VH1 High Gloss black about 4 years ago and had decent results out of it.
This is what i did.
1) Bought about 3 cans of engine degreaser.
2) Took a trip to my local car wash.
3) Sprayed the complete engine down with a can of engine degreaser
4) Let is sit for about 20 mins
5) rinsed it off and repeated this step 2 more times.
6) Masked off around the frame.
7) Used High Temp VH1 primer sprayed 2 coats leaving 1 hour between.
8) Sprayed a coat of VH1 Gloss Blk.
9) Waited about 1 hr
10) Started the engine up and let it get hot.
11) Let it cool down to atleast 100F
12) Repeat this step atleast 3 times.
Its an all day and than some project.

Now I dont care what my block looks like.
All my covers and heads are all powder coated in high gloss black, no more fading, chipping, peeling. rinse off and dry and Woooo Lahhh BEUTIFUL!!

This job can either help or make it look like a turd.
Of course in a perfect world with no time limit we would remove the engine, disassemble the engine, have the cases soda blasted and than have them painted and backed.
Ok, I have used VH1 High Gloss black about 4 years ago and had decent results out of it.
This is what i did.
1) Bought about 3 cans of engine degreaser.
2) Took a trip to my local car wash.
3) Sprayed the complete engine down with a can of engine degreaser
4) Let is sit for about 20 mins
5) rinsed it off and repeated this step 2 more times.
6) Masked off around the frame.
7) Used High Temp VH1 primer sprayed 2 coats leaving 1 hour between.
8) Sprayed a coat of VH1 Gloss Blk.
9) Waited about 1 hr
10) Started the engine up and let it get hot.
11) Let it cool down to atleast 100F
12) Repeat this step atleast 3 times.
Its an all day and than some project.

Now I dont care what my block looks like.
All my covers and heads are all powder coated in high gloss black, no more fading, chipping, peeling. rinse off and dry and Woooo Lahhh BEUTIFUL!!

Yankee, you pretty much nailed it - all I can add is the better the prep work, the better the results.

Mike

Mike

I agree yeah we all should try to sand before priming and wet sand between coats.
It's very hard to sand in the crevices of the engine. I am sure you can use a scotch bright pad to scuff things up a bit.
I didnt have any problems once all the wax and grease was removed with paint drips.
Believe it or not the VH1 clings pretty good to a primered surface. I had it painted for about a year and than the motor blew :confused2:
As for as life expectancy I cant tell you how long this method will last with this brand of paint.
But it came out looking good once all the work was complete.
I have pretty much threw away all my paint cans and went to powder coat. Its cheaper, faster, and holds up better. IMO

Check around and see if there is a blast shop near you. You can then get it bead blasted (make sure to mask off all the holes into the engine). You can also get it soda blasted which almost polishes the engine. Then you simply detack it and it's ready for paint.

Sean

How about touch up to the two wear prone areas by the footrests? I must rub my feet on the cases b/c I wore through my krylon engine paint in about 2 weeks! I'll eventually p/c them a gloss black to match the yamaha engine paint but I'll do that when riding time is done for the year.
I've put over 2k miles in the month it's been on the road so that and crappy paint may be factors too. :confused2:

I had better luck with Hardnose paint from POR 15.It can be brushed or sprayed.I did the Fazer engine with it and it still looks like I just painted it.They call it powdercoat in a can.

Shawn,
Did you get the hardnose stuff of the Hi-Temp stuff from POR-15? Also, did you brush it or spray? Kinda curious how "self-leveling" the stuff is. Also, what did you guys do for prep, take it down to bare metal?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back