Engine spec

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jocke

Reaction score
Hi. I am new here and in am writing to help a friend out. I am mainly in to Ducatis (sorry) and I have been playing around a lot with my Ducati engines to get more TRQ, drivability and power and was thinking that it might be possible to transfer this to a V-max.

A friend just got a project to upgrade. It is a V-max. I have no more details about the bike. It is a European (swedish) bike and it need some upgrades.

Based on my Ducati experience here is what I would think would be good to do. I dont know if it is compatible with a V-max so all imputs are welcome.

*Light porting, mainly clean up the ports and the seats.
*Set (reduce) the squish.
*Adjust the camtiming.
*Maybe increase the compression.
*Slide carbs

As I dont know anything regading V-max I have some questions for this.

1 What squish can I run? On Ducatis that makes 10500RPM and have 66mm stroke we normaly go down to 0,9mm squish. Is that a value that works on a V-max. As far as I know V-max revs 9000RPM so it might be possible to go smaller. Any one with experience?

2 What cam spec does a standard Euro V-max have? Lift, duration and timing. I guess that it has separate inlet and exhaust cams so individual adjustment should not be a problem. Does V-max use woodroth keys (sorry for the spelling)? On Ducs you can get big midrange improvments by advancein the inlet cams. Is this valid on V-max too. Any one having experience of what values that are good. In Ducatis running some thing like 108/108 timing (inlet /exhaust) makes a nice boost.

3 What is the smallest recomended piston to valve clearance? On Ducatis we go to 1,5 mm piston to valve clearance.

4 What compression does a standard V-max have? How high can I go with pump fuel? Any nice drop in HC pistons on the market that does not require re balancing of the crank.

Thats all for now. I am happy for any reply and any imput I can get. If some one has some good links or what ever information I would be very happy so please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Jocke.............

First things first. Do you want to try and get as much power out of the engine without spending jsut a ton of money? BIg bore engines can make over 200rwhp which is considerable. Those engines can cost over $10-12000 dollars to build. In fact I have one for sale that is chain driven and made 300rwhp with NOS and 200 on engine alone.

There are a lot of simple tricks that can be done with the stock bore engine to really help out power. Still not going to be comparable to modern sportbikes but a good gain none the less.

Find out if the bike has the v-boost unit in it. It would be a set of valves between the lower intakes from front to rear cylinder and a servo motor connected to them.

Sean Morley

First things first. Do you want to try and get as much power out of the engine without spending jsut a ton of money? .

Sean Morley

Hi. The plan is just to optimize the engine a bit and get the most out of the standard parts. Not to build a 200hp engine. Just to make a nice road engine with good drivability, TRQ and and a bit more power.

Call it a low budget upgrade to get the most out if the standard parts and maybe just add a few new parts to the engine.

I would guess that is it a lot of people that has been playing with this engines and knows about some good way of optimizing the engines.

I would guess that with just some modern head porting the heads would flow much better or am I wrong. Same thing with just optimazing the squish and the camtiming.

As I said I know nothing about this engines as I only knows Ducatis but after all an engine is just an airpump and all engines works the same.

All inputs, is welcome.

Jocke...........

Hi. I am new here and in am writing to help a friend out. I am mainly in to Ducatis (sorry) and I have been playing around a lot with my Ducati engines to get more TRQ, drivability and power and was thinking that it might be possible to transfer this to a V-max.

A friend just got a project to upgrade. It is a V-max. I have no more details about the bike. It is a European (swedish) bike and it need some upgrades.

Based on my Ducati experience here is what I would think would be good to do. I dont know if it is compatible with a V-max so all imputs are welcome.

*Light porting, mainly clean up the ports and the seats.
*Set (reduce) the squish.
*Adjust the camtiming.
*Maybe increase the compression.
*Slide carbs

As I dont know anything regading V-max I have some questions for this.

1 What squish can I run? On Ducatis that makes 10500RPM and have 66mm stroke we normaly go down to 0,9mm squish. Is that a value that works on a V-max. As far as I know V-max revs 9000RPM so it might be possible to go smaller. Any one with experience?

2 What cam spec does a standard Euro V-max have? Lift, duration and timing. I guess that it has separate inlet and exhaust cams so individual adjustment should not be a problem. Does V-max use woodroth keys (sorry for the spelling)? On Ducs you can get big midrange improvments by advancein the inlet cams. Is this valid on V-max too. Any one having experience of what values that are good. In Ducatis running some thing like 108/108 timing (inlet /exhaust) makes a nice boost.

3 What is the smallest recomended piston to valve clearance? On Ducatis we go to 1,5 mm piston to valve clearance.

4 What compression does a standard V-max have? How high can I go with pump fuel? Any nice drop in HC pistons on the market that does not require re balancing of the crank.

Thats all for now. I am happy for any reply and any imput I can get. If some one has some good links or what ever information I would be very happy so please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Jocke.............

hey there

You know ive been looking at the hayabusa ports and valves as well as the Ducs and i think the obvious problem is that the injected bikes are capable of much greater port sizes and throttle body widths due to greatly reduced fuel drop out issues. The whole vboost concept was a way to create a rudimentary variable intake sytem to keep port velocity up in the lower rpm range with carbs. Injection makes this easier to deal with (though dosent eliminate it)... raising the compression would help create more cranking pressure but the cam overlap may kill that to sum extent. The stock loapy idle of a vmax speaks to a helthy overlap.
If ou think about the vmax cylinder as a duc cylinder than you could compare it size wise to the 600cc monster bikes. Port flow could perhapse be used as a benchmark. something to learn from there i think.:hmmm:

First things first. Do you want to try and get as much power out of the engine without spending jsut a ton of money? BIg bore engines can make over 200rwhp which is considerable. Those engines can cost over $10-12000 dollars to build. In fact I have one for sale that is chain driven and made 300rwhp with NOS and 200 on engine alone.

Sean Morley

That's freaking insane. I can get a fully built out ZX-14 engine with headwork for 7-8K, good for up to 500HP. Hell, my Ford GT block, heads and cams built out for 1200HP on my Lightning cost that much!

Yea, that's the problem with old technology. Requires considerably more work with more expensive parts. Everybody and thier redneck brother has a busa or 14 and that makes parts more viable to mass produce so cost is reduced. It's simple supply and demand.

You didn't say if the engine made that much HP but I am betting it will require a turbo kit which good units are minimum 6-8K with the high end stuff as much as 10-15K.

I am working on a post with upgrades for you to consider. It may be a few days so bear with me.

Sean

Latest posts

Back