Exhaust pressure..something wierd.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNFatz

Reaction score
I'm still getting used to my bike (97 V-MAX).

I've owned quite a few bikes and torn down (and usually put back together) quite a few as well.

So I'm out fiddling with my bike. Tightening screws, etc. I started the bike and just for the hell of it I put my hands over the exhaust--Kerker slipons. That's when I noticed something kind of odd. Standing in back of the bike, with one hand about 4 inches away from the end of each pipe, there was noticeable more--or different--exhaust pressure coming from the right-hand side pipe. It felt stronger and maybe a little more 'choppy'

The bike has 4000 miles on it. In really great shape. Anyone else notice this before?

I would suggest you feel each cylinder to see if they are all firing by the heat they give off. If one is not as hot as the others, you might be running on three cylinders. Also check for exhaust leaks, take compression check and finally sync and adjust carbs. Let us know what you find.

mikemax04 said:
I would suggest you feel each cylinder to see if they are all firing by the heat they give off. If one is not as hot as the others, you might be running on three cylinders. Also check for exhaust leaks, take compression check and finally sync and adjust carbs. Let us know what you find.

I know the drill on syncing, plugs, compression yadda yadda yadda. That's not what I was getting at.

I'm curious if it's an idiosyncracy of the engine design. I was thinking one side might scavenge better than the other because of the timing order.

That is because the firing order is the first 3 cylinders on one revelution.1,2,4,then 3 on the next revolution of the motor.This might not be the exact order but it does work this way.I do not have time to look it up right now.
Back when I had supertrapps one of them burnt out the packing and one did not.Most of the exhaust came out of the one till I repacked them both.There is a crossover under neath between 2 and 3 let let the gasses flow to the burnt out trapp.

Back