Exhaust Slip ons

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooOld

Reaction score
Probably going to bug you guys with my newly acquired 02 VMax but just trying to make it mine. Any suggestions on exhaust slip ons that won't require rejetting AND won't break the bank?

Last edited:
If someone offers you a really-good deal on a set of Cobra 4-into-4 slip-ons, RUN-AWAY! (With your $!) They 'shore are pur-ty' but you might as-well just remove one of your spark plug caps for all the 'goodness' which will come your way from installing them. Not to be confused with the UFO Quad-zilla. https://starriderperformance.com/st...illa-mufflers-black-ceramic-coated-85-07-all/ The current version since UFO became Star Rider Performance

1708037592693.png

Last edited:
some of you guys sound like my local weather guessers…..”the cobras are coming …the cobras are coming” lol

here’s the bottom line….if you’re more about form over function Cobras are fine (i mean c’mon it’s 10hp)…if you’re function over form…they’re not.

The End

It's > 10 RWHP and the way the bike responds to the VBoost is much-different, at least it was on the two Cobra-equipped 4-into-4 bikes I've ridden. The VBoost could best be described as 'soggy,' (throttle response too) and nowhere-near what a stock VMax does. Yes they look like they should make the bike faster, I mean, lookit the size of those things!

But they don't. You might even find someone on a Harley-Davidson they've spent $$$$ on might beat you. Oh, the humiliation! To each his own.

If you just want to hear it, like I did, consider drilling out the stock pipes. Takes a few minutes and cost $0.00.

some of you guys sound like my local weather guessers…..”the cobras are coming …the cobras are coming” lol

here’s the bottom line….if you’re more about form over function Cobras are fine (i mean c’mon it’s 10hp)…if you’re function over form…they’re not.

The End

The End
You joined 3 months ago an your trying to say 10hp lost is nothing. I'm pretty sure it's 10whp loss which is a lot. That's losing over 10% over a stock Gen1. When a proper exhaust an jet kit can gain over 10% whp. It's been proven for over 20yrs.

Or if you just want a bit more noise you can drill the OE silencers.

If you just want to hear it, like I did, consider drilling out the stock pipes. Takes a few minutes and cost $0.00.
Mine are drilled now with five 7/16" holes and drilled pennies as spacers. I have heard many bikes in my life but not the V-Max except in videos. That said, I can't imagine it could sound any better with any other kind of exhaust. When I started it up for the first time, I was so happy and did the victory dance. Better than any Harley and it was impressive without being obnoxiously loud. More like a built car sound than a bike and it growls like a tiger.

Mine are drilled now with five 7/16" holes and drilled pennies as spacers. I have heard many bikes in my life but not the V-Max except in videos. That said, I can't imagine it could sound any better with any other kind of exhaust. When I started it up for the first time, I was so happy and did the victory dance. Better than any Harley and it was impressive without being obnoxiously loud. More like a built car sound than a bike and it growls like a tiger.
@Scrape can you explain what you did exactly?

Remove the rear disc of the megaphone end, drill 5 holes 7/16" around the central exhaust outlet. Pop-rivet or screw the removed disc back-on, using pennies for spacers, pennies are drilled for the screws or pop-rivets used to hold-on the large end disc . Exhaust now comes out that central OEM hole, but also through the five 7/16" holes and between the megaphone end and the once-removed disc. The pennies allow a narrow space for the exhaust to squeeze-out, a bit louder than the single megaphone exhaust outlet.

Remove the rear disc of the megaphone end, drill 5 holes 7/16" around the central exhaust outlet. Pop-rivet or screw the removed disc back-on, using pennies for spacers, pennies are drilled for the screws or pop-rivets used to hold-on the large end disc . Exhaust now comes out that central OEM hole, but also through the five 7/16" holes and between the megaphone end and the once-removed disc. The pennies allow a narrow space for the exhaust to squeeze-out, a bit louder than the single megaphone exhaust outlet.
@Fire-medic thanks for the quick reply! Hard for me to visualize the penny placement, any pics? Thanks!

1708371921881.png

Drill out the rivets, remove the disc and drill the big holes between the rivet holes, and in the welded-end of the megaphone. Then pop-rivet or screw-on the concave disc the rivets held in-place. The pennies just space that riveted-on concave disc to allow exhaust gas to escape with a bit more growl.

The pennies are beneath the concave disc, and are not seen. You could use some flat washers instead of pennies with each penny or washer having a hole in it for the pop-rivet or the flat washer to space-out the concave plate.

View attachment 92989

Drill out the rivets, remove the disc and drill the big holes between the rivet holes, and in the welded-end of the megaphone. Then pop-rivet or screw-on the concave disc the rivets held in-place. The pennies just space that riveted-on concave disc to allow exhaust gas to escape with a bit more growl.

The pennies are beneath the concave disc, and are not seen. You could use some flat washers instead of pennies with each penny or washer having a hole in it for the pop-rivet or the flat washer to space-out the concave plate.
@Fire-medic great explanation! I will certainly consider this method. Thank you!

I ran a test on spacer thickness with the five 7/16" holes. 1/4" was a little bit too much uncorked for me and needed some more backpressure. A dime drilled out took some of the idol tone down vs a penny with good back pressure. For me, the penny thickness dialed it in. Awesome idol and high rev sound. I did a good mating surface prep and deburred the drilled holes. I am so pleased with it that I'm keeping it and never looking back. I like the quality and look of the OEM pipes also. I have sheet metal screws in it now but will seal the deal soon with rivets. I'm running a K&N air filter in an OEM air box.

Last edited:
I do know that the OEM pipes were too quiet, I couldn't hear the motor in the wind to shift right. The tach should be up higher with the speedo. The bike is safer now also and cars can hear it coming. Finally, it sounds also like it performs now. Don't like being the neighborhood pariah but some things just can't be denied. Lol

Last edited:
Back