Flat slide carb questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dezeez

Reaction score
I'm about to buy my first max. I have a line on a bike that has Kiehen(spelling) flat slide cards and is using the stock airbox and after market pipes. I don't know what kind of air filter yet. I believe that this is the only engine mod and was done by PCW in NY.
I'll be using this bike as a Sunday rider, not as an every day commuter. Anybody familier with the pros and cons of this set-up. I know the gas mileage will suck.

To my knowledge Keihn flatslides don't use a stock air box. They are either the open mouths or have bonnets for filters.

Mark

I checked with the seller, he's using 4 foam filters in the stock airbox. I have a picture of the bike and it's definitely the Kiehin carbs without stacks. I'm still wondering how much trouble they will be for every day riding (starting, idle, stumbling problems at certain RPM's). Does anybody have any hands on with these carbs? I mean for street use, not racing.

Wow, very interesting! The flatslides are considered race carbs and this guy must have wanted to make them more streetable? I've never seen this before so I can't comment on how it would run. My guess the low end and midrange would improve with the stock air box and velocity stacks.

Mark

How about the flat slides with stacks? Are they very "streetable"? I don't want to be messing with them constantly do keep it running. I can't check the bike out until next Friday so I'd like to know what to expect when I get there. The seller says no problems unless you whack them open too fast at low RPM. Then they blubber a bit.
Of course, it seems like the stock carbs need some babying to keep them running good. Another thing with the flats, no V boost. Seems kind of silly that my first Max won't have V boost.

I have owned a full power Vmax from new bought in 1998, the carbs are as standard, the only thing I have had to do with them is keep them in balance. If you won't have V boost active then you will miss out on the true potential of the bike, get a bike that has not been messed with and then make it your own.
Buy one and try not to grin too much.

How about the flat slides with stacks? Are they very "streetable"? I don't want to be messing with them constantly do keep it running. I can't check the bike out until next Friday so I'd like to know what to expect when I get there. The seller says no problems unless you whack them open too fast at low RPM. Then they blubber a bit.
Of course, it seems like the stock carbs need some babying to keep them running good. Another thing with the flats, no V boost. Seems kind of silly that my first Max won't have V boost.

Where are you at in pa? I have them on my bike.

I'm south of Lancaster. How do you like the carbs? Are you racing it or just a street bike? Would you do it again? The bikes in NY so I haven't had a chance to see it up close and personal yet.

Mine is street-strip.I do ride it on the street most of the time.If its set up with an airbox and filter it should be good to go if tuned properly.The clacking at idle is pretty cool.

Back