Fork Boots

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trondyne

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question....

Does anyone know if anyone makes fork boots for the v-max 1200s?

The design appears to limit where boots would attach to...

I'm about to do seals and would like to get some boots on her...

Also, if anyone might have any suggestions.... Will just doing the seals probably be OK or is it likely that new bushings and/or other parts be needed...?

This may be the first time these forks were serviced...

See attached pic ....

Attachments

• 20171105_071815[1].jpg
    20171105_071815[1].jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 46
Buy oem seals.

Not to be a smart ass but we can't see your bushings from here.

I'm the type of guy that would replace the dust seals, retaining clips, oil seals, and both bushings depending on age/mileage. I do that kinda stuff cause my time is limited and I'd rather spend a few extra dollars now and know its good for another 10 years and thousands of miles.

If you don't want to spend money to replace parts that may still have life in them you'll gave to wait till disassembly to make a decision.

I'll say this again. Buy oem seals

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Buy oem seals.

Not to be a smart ass but we can't see your bushings from here.

I'm the type of guy that would replace the dust seals, retaining clips, oil seals, and both bushings depending on age/mileage. I do that kinda stuff cause my time is limited and I'd rather spend a few extra dollars now and know its good for another 10 years and thousands of miles.

If you don't want to spend money to replace parts that may still have life in them you'll gave to wait till disassembly to make a decision.

I'll say this again. Buy oem seals

Thanks...

Yeah I figured I had better get OEM seals... I read about people who used "other"...

Money is VERY tight right now, otherwise I would do everything....

RE fork boots. I'm not aware of anyone selling them specifically for the vmax but there have been a few guys who fit universal boots on their vmax.

Stock fork tubes are either 41 or 43mm. Not sure what the leg measures. Check it out and search ebay/amazon for something that will fit.

Sorry that last link didn't work.... Let me find another...

On the OEM parts list there is nothing listed as bushing....

RE fork boots. I'm not aware of anyone selling them specifically for the vmax but there have been a few guys who fit universal boots on their vmax.

Stock fork tubes are either 41 or 43mm. Not sure what the leg measures. Check it out and search ebay/amazon for something that will fit.

Well on the bottom of the uppers where the fender bolts on there is very little lip or place for a boot to grab onto... I have to measure it but it looks like almost nothing there...

Models 2001 ~ 2007 have the extra flange @ the top of the fork leg for the OEM stone shields maybe these are the models that will better accept the boots you are considering

Yeah, I have no idea straight off how to get boots on there...and the seals have to be done pronto so probably will pass...

Any pics or info on how you modded them?

Pics:
Reposted below are pictures of the boots installed on my bike.

Mods:
I used a pair of scissors to trim off extra rubber on the bottom of the boots. Not much else to do other than slip them on. The bottom boot sleeve sits over the top of the lower fork leg and the length of the boot expands up to the underside of the lower triple tree by itself - no zip ties or clamps needed. My forks are dropped almost two inches so you'll have to measure the distance between the top of your bike's lower leg to the bottom of the lower tree to see if the ones I linked to on Amazon are long enough. The Rancho boots are super inexpensive compared to any other options.

et5f2w.jpg

3535bo9.jpg

2hzpmck.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPCCFY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Back