Fuel issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vee4DFW

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I was running my bike yesterday and it suddenly died. I toggled the run key and I heard the fuel pump running for almost a good 20 seconds. I threw her in choke, it fired up with no problem and drove her for a few miles wiith no issues. I got home and it died again with the same symptoms. Ordnarilly I would thinks it's a carb issue but it runs just fine at normal engine loads once it gets going. Again when I turn the bike on the fuel pump does it's 20 second chirp.

Two wierd things. I took off the gas cap and got some vaccum and the left turn signal remains steady and doesn't blink.

Again once it's fired up it runs nice and smooth.

Your vent is clogged! Clean out the vent line and report back!

Vacuum is BAD and why your pump runs so long. It's having to pull against the tank vacuum.

Check your battery voltage too. Many times low voltage will cause relays to not open and close.

Check the vent on the gas tank, it may be clogged. The fuel pump is fighting the vacuum. Which blinker is staying on the left front or rear?

left front. Could it be becasue the pump is pulling alot of current?

You know what, I'm a major moron! I removed the CA emissions canister on Friday and I capped it at the left front carb AND the vent pipe going into the canister. That's probably what it is. Just call me doofus!
I'll remove the cap tonight and report back.

Back