Fuel Milage?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calimus

Reaction score
Ok, so I've got to ask. What kind of fuel milage should i expect to see from a bone stock Vmax?

My daily commute is like this.

10 miles of stop & go city traffic

18 miles of interstate

2 miles of not so much stop & go.

I know the biggest factor is staying the hell out of vboost. I'm actually looking at getting a t-boost so I can turn it off for comuting unless I need it.

I generally get anywhere from 98-108 miles before the fuel light comes on, which breaks down to 32-36mpg. Am I doing about what should be expected or can more easily be squeezed from the bike?

Just more curious then anything.

Calimus said:
Ok, so I've got to ask. What kind of fuel milage should i expect to see from a bone stock Vmax?

My daily commute is like this.

10 miles of stop & go city traffic

18 miles of interstate

2 miles of not so much stop & go.

I know the biggest factor is staying the hell out of vboost. I'm actually looking at getting a t-boost so I can turn it off for comuting unless I need it.

I generally get anywhere from 98-108 miles before the fuel light comes on, which breaks down to 32-36mpg. Am I doing about what should be expected or can more easily be squeezed from the bike?

Just more curious then anything.

My bike does about the same as yours, ~ 32 mpg street riding /commuting.
if I turn the T-boost on at 3k then I get ~ 25 mpg.
2003 bone stock. the stop and go is what makes it consume more gas vs freeway riding
________
iolite vaporizer review

Last edited:
I have a 2001, and get 35.7 in the city (I keep pretty close track). Only mods, if you can call them that, is K&N and removed the T cover off the airbox, and SASY Vboost which is turned off 90% of the time. I tend to drive it pretty mildly. I also never run oxy fuel, so that helps.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm getting right around the average, cool. Thanks fellas.

Ive seen 45+ on tour at steady speeds and an easy throttle hand.(which is hard to do). High 30's the rest of the time in mixed riding.
I think that most USA Max's are a bit rich at idle. I have my mixture screws at 2 turns out now. down from 2 3/4. Runs much better. The high milage above was on the way to Laguna Seca with some freeway droning on Hyw 5 in Calif. I was cutting it up with a couple of liter sport bikes over the passes and the milage went wayyyyyyyyy down.
Lew

Cal,
I seem to be getting exactly the same as you.

But for some reason a guy I ride with swears his light doesnt turn on until 140-150. His is stock except for supertrapp slip ons

I get about 35mpg with my '85. In really hot weather or if I run it really slow for extend periods, it will get a few more miles per gallon.

By really slow, I mean putting around town, shifting early(3,000 max) and cruising along at about 2,000 in top gear. Obviously you can't do this everywhere, but when cruising around some local lakes and on some slower parkways, it feels just about right. Some days I just want to relax and take it easy.

i cant tell you how many times Ive gone out intending to relax and take it slow. But I can count the amount of times I did relax and take it slow on 1 hand

KRL0215 said:
i cant tell you how many times Ive gone out intending to relax and take it slow. But I can count the amount of times I did relax and take it slow on 1 hand

Right there, story of my life. I tell myself every day I'm heading to work, "just take it easy". Somehow I don't think triple digits for 15 miles counts as "taking it easy". Not that I'm riding at 100+ every time.

Sometimes it a quick burst down the on-ramp. Sometimes it's an extended burst to get away from building traffic.
Sometimes it to deflate the ego of some jackass that thinks they have a fast car.
And sometimes, just sometimes it's just to put a big fuckin smile on my face. :)

Damn, I think I just listed every excuse one needs to hit 6k rpm's, lol

So what's everyone's WORST mileage before the old light went on? I think I got 80 km on a tank once before it went on! I needed a new back tire right after that too... :whistlin:

I get about 32-35 MPG. Usually closer to 35. That is riding w/ numerous blasts of V-Boost thrown in. Can't say how much I'd get with completely calm and relaxed riding. I don't believe I've ever tried that. Even the very first tank of gas... LOL

Buster Hymen said:
So what's everyone's WORST mileage before the old light went on? I think I got 80 km on a tank once before it went on! I needed a new back tire right after that too... :whistlin:

84. Before I adjusted the mixture screws. Was running way too rich

Calimus said:
Right there, story of my life. I tell myself every day I'm heading to work, "just take it easy". Somehow I don't think triple digits for 15 miles counts as "taking it easy". Not that I'm riding at 100+ every time.

Sometimes it a quick burst down the on-ramp. Sometimes it's an extended burst to get away from building traffic.
Sometimes it to deflate the ego of some jackass that thinks they have a fast car.
And sometimes, just sometimes it's just to put a big fuckin smile on my face. :)

Damn, I think I just listed every excuse one needs to hit 6k rpm's, lol

AMEN:angry flame devil:

Considering i recently bought my max i havnt ran a single tank through her without getting on it some. I usually get right at 80 miles per full tank and im running 87 now. I bought a carb sync off jcwhitney so when i get around to doing it hopefully that will improve my milage a lot. My buddy has an 06 kaw zx6r and he gets 130 miles to the tank hotrodding the hell out of it! Damn i wish

What do you guys do when your riding on poker runs or with a pack of bikes that all get better milage? Im scared to ride with the locals because id have to make so many stops

Easy, blast way the hell ahead, fuel up and get the hell back out there before they catch up.

main object is not to get caught by the fuzz or run over some old lady pulling herself along on her walker.

I'm also a fan of tossing jacks, ball bearings and other such obsticles on the road behind me to slow them down.:angry flame devil:

Alright, so that list bit was complete and total BS, but tell me you didn't laugh for just a second.

I honestly don't know as I haven't been on any rides like that. However, when riding with a group off friends that all get better mileage, when my light pop's on, I let them know and we all hit the next fuel dispencery.

clintard said:
What do you guys do when your riding on poker runs or with a pack of bikes that all get better milage? Im scared to ride with the locals because id have to make so many stops
The Saturday cruiser crowd I run with always stop for a beer and BS session every 50 miles or so anyway. Good time to top off.

I've gotten as little as 115 miles per tank and as much as 135 when the light pops. After a tank, I'm ready for a leg stretch anyway, no matter the mileage. On VMOAtech, they figure that 45mpg is normal if your bike is in good tune and condition.

oh hell, something is broken on my bike then, lol.

Naw, I know it's not in perfect tune. I'm working on that.

45mpg would be nice though, that would get my close to the wifes Sv650. 46mpg is what we got outta the thing with her starting to learn to ride, several beatdown sessions from me, a beat down session from a buddy of mine thats looking to get an sv and a few more beat downs from me. So I look like a monkey fucking a football when I'm on it, it was fun, but I can't believe the milage it's getting under those circumstances.

Back