Fuel Pump

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mopheos

Reaction score
Out riding today and pulled up to a stop light. Bike is idling fine and when the light turns, I proceed through the light, only to have the bike choke when I give throttle. I pull off the side of the road, the bike will idle but die when throttle applied. Turn the bike off and let it cool for a while, then the bike won't start at all, and when I turn the key on, I can no longer hear the fuel pump tick. So I take the pump out, disconnect the discharge side fuel pump hose, and turn the power on - pump makes no noise and pumps no fuel. Sound like just a dead pump? (Yes, there is gas in the tank.)

Take it apart before you go breaking the bank coz there not cheap. There's a thread on here showing in detail how to do it. Its a simple break down but can get tricky with the orientation of the housing vs the tubes.

First and foremost, make sure it is getting 12 volts. Could be a wiring issue. Is anything else not working on the bike (electrical)? Check fuses if no voltage going to the pump.

If you have full voltage going to the pump, double check the ground. If all is good, then you can bet its the pump as stated above.

Also make sure your fuel hoses are clear. Blow through them to find out.

There's also a fuel pump relay under the left scoop. It could be your ON/RES switch on the right handlebar sticking or dirty, stopping the relay.

Try applying 12V from the battery directly to the pump to see if it clicks. If it does not it may be dead.

I'm going to assume it cranks over?? Just won't run. As noted I would make sure you have voltage first and then work on the replacement after that.

Latest posts

Back