FYIL: If you own a VIZIO TV

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronx

Reaction score
FYI: If you own a VIZIO TV

Seems they tracked a lot of your info and sold it:

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/business-blog/2017/02/what-vizio-was-doing-behind-tv-screen

Snippet:

Vizio then turned that mountain of data into cash by selling consumers’ viewing histories to advertisers and others. And let’s be clear: We’re not talking about summary information about national viewing trends. According to the complaint, Vizio got personal. The company provided consumers’ IP addresses to data aggregators, who then matched the address with an individual consumer or household. Vizio’s contracts with third parties prohibited the re-identification of consumers and households by name, but allowed a host of other personal details – for example, sex, age, income, marital status, household size, education, and home ownership. And Vizio permitted these companies to track and target its consumers across devices.

I recently bought a smart TV and with some research found a lot of info on this, Vizio being the worst offender. I got a Samsung KS8000 and it's a sweetheart but being "smart" some research was needed to make sure there were no security problems. Not unlike a PC or cell phone where apps and an OS exists there will be privacy and security issues, some intentionally built in.

Many of the features like voice recognition and built-in cameras on many models are not only security risks but an avenue for data collection and more of that targeted advertising, of which Samsung is a big offender also. I have a 0 tolerance advertising policy. Usually 3rd parties are involved in data collection so there is that. There are settings in the menu that allow you to disagree with and remove permissions from the TV. The safest thing is to just DC it from the internet altogether. I do unless i"m using Netflix built into the TV, the up-scaling is jaw dropping, it takes my shitty grainy lowest def Netflix (super slow internet) and makes it nearly 4k sharp. Aside from that I pull the LAN cable.

Truthfully I would have much preferred to get this TV without all the "smart" features. I know Vizio and Samsung (and probably others) got called to task on these issues but the problem still exists.

Built in Cameras and microphones spying, advertisers and 3rd parties collecting your data... disappointing but sure not shocking.

I have a LG that I used to use the Netflix on but now use a Roku 3, I probably should reset my TV's preferences back to dumb settings.

Back