Garage door opener

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88vmx12

Reaction score
I remember several years ago a guy posted on YouTube about how he had this horn activated garage door opener. Not sure if any of you remember that or had a chance to see it. He pulls up to his house and honks his horn twice and his wife runs out of the house and opens the garage door for him. It was a classic IMO, I had a laugh for sure.

Anyways this is about a true garage door remote opener you can build. Remote opener means that it is hidden with the small button accessible yet not so huge it looks insanely ugly. Now before I even started down this path to build these (5 bikes) I looked online and there was one that was close to what I was looking for. However the distance from the button to the box was like 10-12”, which wasn’t what I was looking for. I needed like 40” or so of length in the cord. So provided you are able to use a soldering iron, not all are able to do this so please don’t take that as an insult. Parts list per say…

- Sacrificial - door opener from the car!
(One pictured is just for reference) after it worked I found the rest on
Amazon
- Project box (Amazon) use heavy duty
Velcro on the box to secure it, you
will need to access it later to change
out the battery.
- Foam sheet to keep the circuit board
secure in the box (Hobby Lobby)
- 24 AWG 2C wire (Amazon) where the
soldering gets tricky wire size and
circuit board
- Small water proof button (Amazon)
had to extend it with the above wire,
use dual wall 3:1 heat shrink to make
sure it is water proof.

Short story… extended the button cable, placed button, ran wire to desired box location, soldered wires next to circuit board button, test, put the lid on the box.

If you do this, finding the right remote could be tricky, there are tons of them online. Just because it says the same brand that your garage door opener is, doesn’t mean it is compatible.

G

Attachments

• IMG_2263.jpeg
    IMG_2263.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2264.jpeg
    IMG_2264.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2265.jpeg
    IMG_2265.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2266.jpeg