Gen 2 Brake Pads Change Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I recently changed the brake lines for Galfer SS and I now going to replace the front are rear brake pads with EBC. The service manual calls for bleeding the brakes as part of the process but is it really necessary to bleed for replacing the pads? Most of the videos I found don't mention this step.

For example:

Cheers!

I'm sure the Service Manual is adding that in there as part of an overall 'maintenance plan' for the brakes and figure that at the point in time new pads are needed then new fluid is definitely needed also.

Given that you just swapped out your lines for the Galfer SS lines you've essentially already changed the fluid in the system, so no need to bleed your brakes when swapping out pads.

I'm sure the Service Manual is adding that in there as part of an overall 'maintenance plan' for the brakes and figure that at the point in time new pads are needed then new fluid is definitely needed also.

Given that you just swapped out your lines for the Galfer SS lines you've essentially already changed the fluid in the system, so no need to bleed your brakes when swapping out pads.
Thanks for the input! That seems to be the case per this chart

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 1.16.33 PM.png

You don't necessarily have to bleed them. Be sure to clean the built-up junk on the pistons with brake cleaner & a tooth brush BEFORE pushing them in to make room for the new pads. And depending on how far you push them in, you might need to pump the lever a few times to get them pushed back out to get the pads seated against the rotors.

I just did mine a 1000 miles ago. I did not change the brake fluid in mine. Everything cleaned though. Some very light lubrication on the pads contacting the metal anti-rattle clips and I was good to go.

Back