getting rust out of gas tank without removing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just installed Swabbenmax 5 gallon easy peezy pull up on swing arm and popped right in. The old tank literally left 3.7 grams of rust in the orig filter.

I'm getting ready to buy a new fuel tank from Partzilla for my 1986. My current tank has some significant rust in it and a new one is only $309 from Partzilla. For OEM Yamaha part I didn't think that was too bad and for the piece of mind well worth it. Thoughts?
you could for go the tank drain rinse til happy ond treat with corrosion X and just let the filter do what its supposed to.

I think $309 is reasonable, but if it were me, I would clean the old tank with $20 worth of Evapo-rust.

Then I would rinse with mineral spirits repeatedly, then keep it full of gas.

(NOTE: Each time you drain the mineral spirits, you can let the Evapo-rust settle to the bottom, decant it, and reuse the mineral spirits- it requires about 25 cycles to get out all the Evapo-rust.)

I debated with myself for a long time about buying new or cleaning. I finally won the debate. What bothered me was that the rust pieces were pretty thick. I'm afraid I lost too much wall thickness for the long term. Also, my carbs were delivered today to Dannymax and I don't want to take any chances of anything getting into the carbs. In my younger days I would have cleaned but at this stage in my life I have the means to buy new. I appreciate the feedback.

Latest posts

Back