Giving up on Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seve Moreno

Reaction score
I've had this 98 vmax for about 6 months and I haven't been able to ride more than up the street and back. I can't figure out the carbs. My spark plugs get fouled up very fast. you can smell its extremely rich. I can not figure out how to adjust the carb. A/F screw does nothing. I've changed the air filter. I've pulled the carbs like a hundred times to clean and yes I've done the shotgun and the pea shooter. I'm ready to sell the thing. Is there anything else I can try that I haven't or am I doing something wrong.

A/F screw singular ? Wonder if he has a manual. Four mixture screws behind a blank brass plug. I’d start at 2turns out from fully closed in this case instead of 2.5-3 tirns out. A questionable rack of carbs is no reason to give up. You will shit when they are dialed in !

If you've never-ridden a dialed-in VMax, when you get them back from one of the people on-here who can overhaul yours, you will be glad that you spent the $. These bikes are a lot of fun, once they're running properly. Always a good idea to have your general address (city/state) under your screen name. Help may-be closer than you think, and shipping a set of carbs is neither a large package, nor a heavy one.

Yes I'm using all four a/f screws. Yes I start with the 2 turns out. I live in san Antonio texas only a couple hundred ft above sea level. My point is I cant get any information on adjusting the carbs and seems no one knows anything about them.

Yes I'm using all four a/f screws. Yes I start with the 2 turns out. I live in san Antonio texas only a couple hundred ft above sea level. My point is I cant get any information on adjusting the carbs and seems no one knows anything about them.

Yes, a good reason to turn-to one of these fellows to do the work. Just be-sure that your gas tank is very-clean, replace your fuel filter (and open your old one to see what it's collected, this may help you to determine it's time to remove and to clean your gas tank, and to seal it) and check for deterioration of your gas lines. Failing to ensure that your fuel supply is all-clean will mean you'll need to disassemble and clean them again.

Don't forget to-add S.A. TX to your screen name!

Yes, a good reason to turn-to one of these fellows to do the work. Just be-sure that your gas tank is very-clean, replace your fuel filter (and open your old one to see what it's collected, this may help you to determine it's time to remove and to clean your gas tank, and to seal it) and check for deterioration of your gas lines. Failing to ensure that your fuel supply is all-clean will mean you'll need to disassemble and clean them again.
From what I understand sealing a tank isn't the best option. its a one-time thing and once that fails then the tank is done. Ive looked at the filter and there doesn't seem to be anything in there. although when I got the bike I had to clean the tank from old gas. but I don't see how a clogged up filter will make everything rich.

Last edited:
I've had this 98 vmax for about 6 months and I haven't been able to ride more than up the street and back. I can't figure out the carbs. My spark plugs get fouled up very fast. you can smell its extremely rich. I can not figure out how to adjust the carb. A/F screw does nothing. I've changed the air filter. I've pulled the carbs like a hundred times to clean and yes I've done the shotgun and the pea shooter. I'm ready to sell the thing. Is there anything else I can try that I haven't or am I doing something wrong.

Jetting is the most important thing based off of/depending on your exhaust. The a/f makes less of a difference than you think. I sold mine a few years back and had a paper with all the turns out, jetting etc so I just dont recall, but I wouldnt give up. Id bet who ever you bought it from put jets that were waaay to big. All the timeI messed with mine it never ran rich. I do recall using the middle spot on the dyno jet needles, it could be that if they were replaced too. It didnt say where youre from, not in texas though I assume?

From what I understand sealing a tank isn't the best option. its a one-time thing and once that fails then the tank is done. Ive looked at the filter and there doesn't seem to be anything in there. although when I got the bike I had to clean the tank from old gas. but I don't see how a clogged up filter will make everything rich.
It has nothing to do with filter if youre running rich, a clogged filter is restrictive not the opposite.

Oh you do live in Texas. Id hate for you to give up on this thing. Ever come The Woodlands way we can diffinatly figure something out and get it running.

Cleaning a tank may be sufficient, sealing is when you want to try to re-use the tank, but there is still corrosion in it after trying a cleaning. The pitting should be evident, if you're facing a sealing. If you do choose to do a sealing, there are a number of products. Just be sure that you follow the instructions precisely.

POR-15 is one product which seems to get good reviews.

I understand jetting on normal carbs. these are anything but normal though. I can't find any information on where the pilot jet would be. I only ever see any mention to an air pilot jet never a fuel pilot. I know if I could adjust the that I dial back how much fuel it's getting.

There is a detailed write up, i remember because i had tons of notes on the back and if I recall it was a link or something from this site lvlhead was the writer for or something. Man its been 10 years. Plus the jet kit is informative. I know I drilled holes in the slide too. Been do long ago though but I wouldnt just give up. Im on my phone but try to find my old posts because i know i discussed it on here.

Find and read this thread. There was some fine tuning tht i prob didnt write up but its a starting point. When i bought my 01 it sat for like four years so while rusty by mind if i had one in front of my it would come back. I also stated i kept stock pilot jet so theres that. Shouldnt have to worry with it is what i am thinking.

Attachments

• 4FA97632-B539-45FF-A7B8-4B4122C42C2B.png
    4FA97632-B539-45FF-A7B8-4B4122C42C2B.png
    218.2 KB · Views: 37
In one of your prior posts, you indicated you had coolant at your intake valves, the plugs were black and oily --- plus you had oil coming out of your left side exhaust. A possible head gasket issue..... Did you fix those issues?

In another of your posts, a member suggested you may have a stuck float. Another member said to set your float heights, and another poster said the drain hoses may be blocked since you said you could not get fuel out of the bowl for the wet check with a clear hose. Did you check for this? Were you ever able to set your float height with a wet check?

If the carbs are out of sync, there are times that you can turn the A/F screws, and nothing happens.

So, put in the fresh set of plugs, and sync the carbs. Start small, and work your way up. The do the A/F screws. If things are off....then do a shotgun.....and take OUT PAJ#2 to be able and get a full blast of air thru it. Then decide if the carbs need to be rebuilt.

In one of your prior posts, you indicated you had coolant at your intake valves, the plugs were black and oily --- plus you had oil coming out of your left side exhaust. A possible head gasket issue..... Did you fix those issues?

In another of your posts, a member suggested you may have a stuck float. Another member said to set your float heights, and another poster said the drain hoses may be blocked since you said you could not get fuel out of the bowl for the wet check with a clear hose. Did you check for this? Were you ever able to set your float height with a wet check?
Yes I fixed those problems. turned out the shaft for the water pump was leaking into the oil. I took it to a shop to fix. I've changed the plugs in it and synced all carbs but one. I am not able to get front left to move at all. the other 3 cars are synced up. That one cylinder is also showing lean conditions in the spark plug. so far everyone is suggesting things I've already done. This is why I'm ready to sell the thing and stop wasting time on it.

Last edited:
Did you read my old jetting thread in the picture? Your missing something but like the other guys said yeah start small by syncing the carbs. A carb is a carb is a carb, they are basically work the same but being four one can be the whole issue. If it were at my house i’d remove them, soak them (replace any seals gaskets bad) and either put em back stock or buy a DJ kit/morleys if he is still around and replicate what i did. I only say that because I know my ran flawless. Youre not going to be able to read plugs over a short run. How does it run at idle, mid, wot?

Did you read my old jetting thread in the picture? Your missing something but like the other guys said yeah start small by syncing the carbs. A carb is a carb is a carb, they are basically work the same but being four one can be the whole issue. If it were at my house i’d remove them, soak them (replace any seals gaskets bad) and either put em back stock or buy a DJ kit/morleys if he is still around and replicate what i did. I only say that because I know my ran flawless. Youre not going to be able to read plugs over a short run. How does it run at idle, mid, wot?
My plugs need changing after about 10 miles. They are completely black and need changing, They no longer let the bike startup. There is too much gas going through the carbs. Im trying to find the pilot jet to regulate the gas going through. I don't know where it is in the carb, Does anyone else have a picture that would show where it is at or can explain where to find it?

I hear you on the plugs. I bet your slides are stuck up a bit or something. Or someone tried jetting it and put the needle to high or a stuck float. Its going to be something simple to fix with a little know how. If you cannot read the following print on picture just google ex 2001 vmax jet kit dynajet has their instruction in pdf. Theres also diagrams just google them but not sure pj is your biggest issue.

Attachments

• 78745C7C-D4FC-477B-8749-DF8D109E154F.png
    78745C7C-D4FC-477B-8749-DF8D109E154F.png
    206.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 69C9D215-DF66-49CD-9154-7EEACE3E089E.png
    69C9D215-DF66-49CD-9154-7EEACE3E089E.png
    323 KB · Views: 30
Back