Giving up on Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the cost of shipping and an hours work he can find out if the carbs are the issue.

He's still on the fence.

The guy doesn't want to solve the problem. He wants someone to solve it for him without him so much as lifting a finger.

It can be challenging to say the least, I've owned 7 CBX's and the carburetors on them are the some of the most challenging I have encountered, some guidance and encouragement would be a plus. That's what owning a motorcycle is about.

Wish I was in his situation with a V-Max to ride . Sold my bike in 2010 and miss it all to Hell & back , here you are with all the help that can be offered and it seems like you are not willing to lift a finger so to say. Just my .02 cents , Good Luck in whatever you decide .

Get a fuel injected VRod and be done with it. So what if it isnt the fastest, it rides better and is RELIABLE

The Vmax is VERY reliable, BUT most of these bikes are 20-30 years old, AND almost 13 years into its run before the internet really started taking off. So, usually people are having to fix the previous owners mistakes/neglect. People also find out the hard way that just because your brother in law....Jimmy Joe Bob, that can fix golf carts, doesnt mean that he can fix a Vmax.

Most of these bikes just need some TLC.

Get a fuel injected VRod and be done with it. So what if it isnt the fastest, it rides better and is RELIABLE
I like the VRod. It has good style, it performs OK, and there are dealers everywhere. The one with the footpegs mounted closer to the middle of the bike is the one I like. As they aren't very-popular with the traditional H-D crowd, you should be able to find one at a decent price.

The VMax, despite this fellow's issues, is probably a reliable bike, if it is maintained. The Demon Ethanol is what apparently is the bane of carbureted engines, and the VMax all too-often falls victim, if it's left sitting. That's the fault of whoever is responsible for not taking steps to preserve its functionality. Buying a couple containers of Sta-Bil, and using it according to directions, probably would have prevented the results it displays from a period of atrophy.

Moonshine Kills Econoline.jpg

The Vmax is VERY reliable, BUT most of these bikes are 20-30 years old, AND almost 13 years into its run before the internet really started taking off. So, usually people are having to fix the previous owners mistakes/neglect. People also find out the hard way that just because your brother in law....Jimmy Joe Bob, that can fix golf carts, doesnt mean that he can fix a Vmax.

Most of these bikes just need some TLC.
Bought my 07 brand new.

To date, the only things that have failed are the tires (replaced once so far but about due again) the battery (on my third and it has plenty of life let in it) and I had to clean out my carburetors when it sat for nearly two years without running. (Cancer sucks.)

Other than that, all I've ever done is change the oil (three times so far) and spark plugs (only once).

Granted, I've only got 15,000 miles on the clock, but for 13 years that's not a bad reliability record.

^^^^ you're overdue for an oil filter change and air filter change, the latter every 4,000 miles.

I think everyone here has been overly generous with this guy. While my problem with my Gen 1 isnt solved yet, I havent resorted to the crying and complaining this guy has. At least with my concern, I posted pics of the suspect carb on my bike. This guy hasnt posted 1 picture of the carbs. He may think he knows what he is doing, but everyone here is helping him blind. No one here knows the condition those carbs are in. He says this or that and says they are squeaky clean....but they could be trashed for all we know.

You want help...you have to want to be helped. Post pictures. Clear well lit pics of everything no matter how mundane you think it is. There is something that isnt known to you that may be known to others here. Quit crying, man up and solve this. If you spent all this money on the bike so far, why not go the last $500 for it? You can either sell like others have stated....or....gasp.....you have a bike you can finally appreciate.

And so what that you had the carbs out 50 times. Back when I lived in NY, my buddy built a 750 Seca. Close to 900 when we were done with it. Cammed, dome top pistons, balanced and everything. We fought those carbs for over a year. 50 times removing carbs....LOL....we would have those carbs off that many times in 1 weekend. We spent close to 1000 for jets and jet drills to get 1/2 sizes of the jets. We never got the carbs perfect, but we got them close enough to where they worked for what the bike was. We ended up joking that the YICS on the engine meant, Yes, Its Carbs Suck. Patience is what is needed. If you dont have that, break out the wallet. If you dont want to do that....you need not complain. And you surely dont need any help anymore.

^^^^ you're overdue for an oil filter change and air filter change, the latter every 4,000 miles.
Actually, no I'm not.

The first service was done and paid for by the dealer. I've got another roughly 2000 miles before I'm due for another one.

I feel the OP's pain and concern. I bought an older Mercedes (my first and last) that I knew had some issues, but the issues kept coming. After a while I wondered if the issues would just keep coming. I persevered and finally got a nice running and riding car. I have had a VROD and with a Power Commander and proper tune it seemed just as fast as my VMAX. It did handle much better than my VMAX, but the VROD's rear suspension was too harsh, no matter what shocks I tried, for my old achy back and I sold it. I would recommend the VROD to anyone without back problems, but they also have their issues.
If you are completely fed up with your VMAX, moving to a VROD is a good call. There is a big difference between riding VRODs with forward foot controls and the Street Rod's center controls, so ride them both before you choose.
Eliminating your frustrations is key to having a more enjoyable life.

This isn't a case of one problem after the other.

This is a case of the same guy crying about the same exact problem that he's been given PROFESIONAL help to solve and simply refuses to take it for over a year.

But nice post trying to sell Vrods.

This isn't a case of one problem after the other.

This is a case of the same guy crying about the same exact problem that he's been given PROFESIONAL help to solve and simply refuses to take it for over a year.

But nice post trying to sell Vrods.
LOL - Not trying to sell VRODs as I gave mine up for a VMAX. Just trying to console some frustration from a fellow rider. Been there.

I had an 88 Vmax for 11 years. I’ve had Harleys and a lot of others along the way. Most of the issues I had with the 88 were caused by my trying get it faster. Vrod is still a Harley. Nothing really compares to the thrill of the gen 1 Max. EXCEPT the thrill of the gen 2

Have three Harleys one 85 and two 91’s.
Picked up my 94 Vmax almost two years ago. During that time I rebuilt the carbs, replaced one shell, thanks Dannymax and addressed a multitude of minor repairs.

With that said, I was pleasantly surprised with the seat of the pants acceleration, thought I had to change my pants after the Vboost kicked in.

My Harleys sound good, but the sound and the acceleration of a V4 is amazing.

Have three Harleys one 85 and two 91’s.
Picked up my 94 Vmax almost two years ago. During that time I rebuilt the carbs, replaced one shell, thanks Dannymax and addressed a multitude of minor repairs.

With that said, I was pleasantly surprised with the seat of the pants acceleration, thought I had to change my pants after the Vboost kicked in.

My Harleys sound good, but the sound and the acceleration of a V4 is amazing.
I have a friend who's a retired Ford dealership mechanic, and a H-D die-hard rider. He's a bit of a hard-case when it comes to the Bar and Shield brand. I've known him >45 years. He repairs H-D's for the local PD LEO's who own 'em, and for others. He would rather eat worms than work-on anything-else. When I stop by on a VMax, he's always making 'rice-rocket' comments. I don't mind, I pick-up some H-D knowledge hanging-around and he does work on quite a variety of H-D stuff. Probably the only H-D that could compare to a Gen. 1 VMax is the H-D Destroyer, the specialized VRod drag-racer they manufactured, not street-legal.

Back