great first impression

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppop

Reaction score
First encounter with the LAW!!!!!! My lil grandson went to a birthday party today,They were riding bikes enjoying eachothers company when here come The local police.He corraled all the lil people,Gave them a sturn warning about riding there bikes with no helment.And even threatend to write them a TICKET!On a dead end street.Great first impression.You cant prevent or forsee everything!Really dissap...ointed at Mc dowell county local police! with all thats going on really!They ride in front of our house all the time and buncombe county sherriff cars usally slow down and wave.At there place not gonna happen.Be ON THE LOOKOUT FOR MADMAN MATT AND HIS GANG OF HINCHMAN.DAM!Bicycles been around for 100 years.WEve all had bike wrecks.New law for kees and elbows,NO falling without protection!OR YOULL GET A TICKET!Be scard of this watch out fot that!Anybody remember opey?GREAT FIRST IMPRESSION!Never know,The world is not like it was in my day.But it needs to be badly!O yea he is 9

Last edited:
I know you think that was too-much of an enforcement issue, but if there is a state law about helmets for <18 y.o.'s, then you should encourage compliance as a means of preventing a simple fall becoming a life-threatening or life-ending subdural hematoma ('brain-bleed'). Yes, I know, 'why wear one when you're riding in-front of the house, on a cul-de-sac,' but having seen youngsters succumb to such injuries, or have life-changing sequential results, you can't go-back in-time and put one on 'just for that event.' So, the only safe thing to do is to wear one whenever you are on your bike (bicycle). I've scrapped two bicycle helmets, one racing off-road and one riding on the street, two motorcycle helmets street-riding (FL does not required adults to wear helmets if you carry sufficient insurance, I wouldn't go around the block without one) and had my head saved numerous times while working on fire scenes as a firefighter (thank-you Cairns Philadelphia).

If your point is the way the LEO treated the kids, then that's another matter.

The cop wasn't playing with them, being kinda funny but at the same time trying to make a point about being safe? If he was, that's one thing, but if he was seriously being a dick to a bunch of kids I'd be making a visit or phone call to his superior. He needed to speak with the parents or adults responsible for the kids, not the kids themselves.

As a side note: About 9 yrs old, riding around in a quiet residential street in front of my friend's house with some other buddies. Two of the bikes collide at something maybe a little faster than walking speed, we were doing figure-8's so we weren't going too fast. Both kids hit the ground, one is fine, the other never woke up again. Died in the hospital later that day. I remember it like it was yesterday, and there seriously wasn't a mark on him anywhere. Probably one of those brain-bleeds Fire-Medic is talking about.

There is a law for every thing nowadays. (Makes it easier to put you in the slammer if you exercise your rights to often).

Hey Pop Pop, we gotta take care of those little one's Ya know,,,,,don't let em get hurt now,,,,because when they turn 18, Uncle Sam in almighty Washington D.C. will be sure to have a nice hot war to send them to,,,happens all the time,,,remember, "freedom isn't free". (And then Sammy won't be bothered a bit when they come home with no arms and or legs,,,but that is the price of freedom, but rest assured, the Prez of the U.S. ain't gonna be wipping his, the poor "American Hero's", ass for the rest of his life or dealing with his mental anquish day in and day out,,,hell no!! Remember, and keep telling yourself, "freedom isn't free".......................................................................Ad Nauseum

O

I know you think that was too-much of an enforcement issue, but if there is a state law about helmets for <18 y.o.'s, then you should encourage compliance as a means of preventing a simple fall becoming a life-threatening or life-ending subdural hematoma ('brain-bleed'). Yes, I know, 'why wear one when you're riding in-front of the house, on a cul-de-sac,' but having seen youngsters succumb to such injuries, or have life-changing sequential results, you can't go-back in-time and put one on 'just for that event.' So, the only safe thing to do is to wear one whenever you are on your bike (bicycle). I've scrapped two bicycle helmets, one racing off-road and one riding on the street, two motorcycle helmets street-riding (FL does not required adults to wear helmets if you carry sufficient insurance, I wouldn't go around the block without one) and had my head saved numerous times while working on fire scenes as a firefighter (thank-you Cairns Philadelphia).

If your point is the way the LEO treated the kids, then that's another matter.

Of course we know that Police and Firemen never break these laws, ALWAYS wear their seat belts and helmets, and never drive reckless, and are always courteous and respectful of the constitution they are sworn to uphold:biglaugh:

O

Im all for the helmet,And yes he should have been wearing one,And usally does at home while riding.What got me was the attitude of the cop!In matthews words,He came toward us fast,lights flashing,turned the car next to us,got out and was mad at us,shook his clipboard and threatend to write us all a ticket,Ordered us to park the bikes.Just about then the mother of the birthday boy came out,The cop told her NO HELMET NO RIDING!Got back in his car spead off!Mabye he had a child hurt.Or has seen a inncodent where a lil one was killed!Just dont know.I do know it scared the crap out of matt!I talked to me last night,And after he told me what happend he said,With voice cracking inches from tears,I thought he was going to take us to jail!!And he was mad and yelling!He yelled at brians mom too!Un called for unprofessinal,Hell of a way to treat a child!

some folks just either dont like or dont know how to deal with kids. sadly cops included. i wonder if ....in their training that maybe they need a lil instruction on the proper way to deal with children. i dont blame ya for being miffed popop .

I grew up on a quiet cul de sac where I learned to ride my bike. I don't recall helmets for kids in late 60s. Anyway, my older brother got the Stingray with hand lever brakes and of course we had to race. We start at the top of the street all the way to the cul de sac. Yeah my brother won but pedaled backwards to stop, hit the curb into a driveway and promptly removed his chin. First time I ever saw bone! Anyway, cupped his chin flap with his hand and ran home. Good thing Dad was a surgeon so off to the office he went for a repair. He's 52 and still has a gnarly chin. No helmet would have spared him this but a full face would have left him with only skinned knees and palms.
A few years later, I got MY three speed shifter Stingray complete with rear slick and handgrip tassels. I was bad ass for sure! No helmet for me.

Sounds like scared straight.. Elementary version. At that age kids should look at cops as a protector, not a threat. It's all in how it's handled.

some folks just either dont like or dont know how to deal with kids. sadly cops included. i wonder if ....in their training that maybe they need a lil instruction on the proper way to deal with children. i dont blame ya for being miffed popop .
And some cops don't know how to deal with children AND adults. Thats why they become cops. They have a major hard on to be the man in control. If I were in your position I would strongly consider having a discussion with that pin-head's boss, and kindly explain that as one of the people that pay for this jerks salary you are extremely upset at his unprofessional intimidation of these kids, and ask if he has had repeated incidents where he felt it acceptible to terrorize neighborhood children.

That copper needs a firin,,he has serious emotional problems and may go off and kill someone very soon,,,,keep his ass away from the schools!

O

Sounds like he was a jerk to the kids. Which is too bad, kids should be taught to respect those in authority not to fear them.

No one got his name or badge # He should have went to the parent that had the party.This guy aint no cop!Neither is the one in the video!I know the DICKHEAD brothers!!!!!!

Back