Great Ride Tonight

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick78

Reaction score
Not sure if there's anyone on this forum that's in the Northern Va area, but me and buddy of mine went out for a ride this evening. Great weather, great temperature, and a spirited ride through DC. I'm in Woodbridge, Va and he's in Alexandria, Va. I came up 95 and stopped off at his house and we rode up 395 into Georgetown. Grabbed a burger at Johnny Rocket's right on M street and then rode around DC a little bit before jumping back on 395 and heading home.
This was actually the first time that I've been riding the bike hard through turns and curves where I felt the bike get wobbly on me. Never could understand what everyone was talking about, but I definitely felt it several times tonight. If you know this area then you know the roads are pretty nasty around here. 395 has what you could almost call speed bumps on it and its a major highway. Taking some of the ramps thats slope way down, make a sharp turn and then head up a hill to the next road can be pretty nasty once the bike starts bouncing around and you get that steering shimmy.
I guess replacing the springs in the forks is the only way to get ride of that right? I've seen posts on the solid mounts and the frame brace as well, which one of these things will make the most difference? You could easily spend a grand doing springs, mounts, braces, and shocks and I'm just not in a place to do that at this point, but would like to try to stabilize the bike a little more.
Anyway, we had a good ride tonight... anybody from or know this area?

i'd start with new springs and frame braces. cheapest and easiest.

Where is the best place to get the solid mounts?
I'm a little leary because of all the things that have to come over to get to the rear mounts, but its nothing that I can't do. Just gotten to that point in life where I'd rather be riding then tearing stuff apart.
I'm curious how the mounts can make such a big difference in the way the bike rides. How does that stiffen up the bike so much?

Where is the best place to get the solid mounts?
I'm a little leary because of all the things that have to come over to get to the rear mounts, but its nothing that I can't do. Just gotten to that point in life where I'd rather be riding then tearing stuff apart.
I'm curious how the mounts can make such a big difference in the way the bike rides. How does that stiffen up the bike so much?

Engine becomes the integral part of the frame.

Back