Group Ride Etiquette

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippo6

Reaction score
I've borrowed this from another forum I participate on (www.nbriders.org), it geared more for sport bikes but can still be applied:

Ok there are alot of new riders out there and it seems there's less and less experienced riders to help them along the way, so just a quick note about group ride etiquette.

There's alot of things you should know about group rides, they can certainly be the most fun rides you have had, but at the same time when you get new riders or squids mixed into the group you can end up frustrated, angry, worried and just have an all round horrible experience.

When I am on a group ride I want to have an all round good experience and I want it to be a mutual feeling throughout the group.

So a few things to remember when leading a group.

-Let an experienced rider lead the group.

-If your going to lead make sure everyone knows the destination

-take a count of the bikes with you and remember it

- When leading always stop when turning off the main road designate someone to stay at the turn off to show slower riders which way to go in case they don't know how to get to the destination.

-On long group rides have a few stops and let everyone catch up, do a head count if anyone's missing ask others who it is, see if anyone has a cell number for that person, if no one knows the person or they are unreachable then the group waits and the lead bike doubles back and looks for the missing rider.

-Even better not all experienced riders like to drive fast either, designate an experienced rider to bring up the rear if you can, they should know what to do and how to contact someone in the lead group.

-If you see someone riding outside their limits don?t be afraid to confront the person, in all likelihood you?ll have lots of backup from the other bikers as they will be as nervous as you are about riding with this individual.

When driving with a group

-Listen carefully and make note of the final destination of the group run.

-Gas up before the start of the run.

-Set your own pace, ride at a speed comfortable for you, NO ONE IS GOING TO LEAVE YOU BEHIND.

-If you don?t know anyone in the group leave your number with someone who will likely be riding ahead of you.

-Do not leave the group without letting someone know you have pulled off and are leaving.

-Understand that no biker gets left behind, when the group turns off the road, takes an exit or changes route there will be someone waiting at that intersection or exit.

-Wheelies are fun and everyone understands this, what is not fun is getting taken out by someone who thinks its ok to wheelie in groups. If you have to wheelie take a lane to yourself and give lots of room in front and behind, for the most part people won?t mind as long as your doing it in your own space.

-Stoppies another fun little trick, same rule as wheelies tho, make sure you have your own space, don?t role up beside me a foot away on the front tire. There will be lots of opportunity to pull the odd trick on the group rides, please make sure you have lots of room before acting squidly.

-Passing, When passing Cagers allow the bike in front to pass first, don?t pull out and pass other bikers who are looking for a good opportunity to pass the car, the last thing we need is someone taking the opportunity to pass and getting hit from behind from a fellow rider.

-More on passing, give yourself a lane to pass other bikes, try not to pass in the same lane, especially at high speeds. Sometimes guys who ride together a lot will get side by side, that?s not an invitation for you to get beside someone who doesn?t know you, often times this will cause someone to get sour with you, they don?t know your riding ability.

-Riding staggered, getting nice and tight through town is ok, but remember once you get up to speed give lots of room, keep a staggered position but still give lots of braking room, no one likes having to hit the brakes and having someone rush by them 6 inches away.

-If you hit the ditch and are uninjured, stand your bike up and wait for some help to get it out, we will come back looking for you shortly when we notice your gone.

-If you are hurt stay calm and still we will find you, your likely not alone anyways but if you are hopefully you won?t be for long.

-Don?t be insulted if someone confronts you, for the most part they give a shit about other riders in the group and are trying to help you.

Feel free to add things to the list I will edit it accordingly.

Latest posts

Back