Has anyone here tried one of these wheels yet?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike , heres a couple that i just ran out a took, if you need a few daylight pics youll have to wait a day or two,let me know. hope this helps:thumbs up:

No those pics are great, Rob! Thanks alot! These pics will help me in the decision process.

Mike

i'm also running this 17" wheel on my 97 and have no complaints. i installed it with the stock front end on the bike and then switched the front end to the r1 front end and the wheel matched perfectly. here's a couple of pics-first 4 are wheel installed with stock front end, last 2 are wheel installed with r1 front end. in my opinion, the offset is a small price to pay for the increase in handling, with the r1 front end it's even sicker.

later odieoh

Attachments

• 169.jpg
    169.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 167.jpg
    167.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 173.jpg
    173.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 171.jpg
    171.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 85
  • 392.JPG
    392.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 93
  • 004 - Copy (3).JPG
    004 - Copy (3).JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 88
i'm also running this 17" wheel on my 97 and have no complaints. i installed it with the stock front end on the bike and then switched the front end to the r1 front end and the wheel matched perfectly. here's a couple of pics-first 4 are wheel installed with stock front end, last 2 are wheel installed with r1 front end. in my opinion, the offset is a small price to pay for the increase in handling, with the r1 front end it's even sicker.

later odieoh

First off, very nice work done on your vmax. That is definitely one very nice bike and the front end looks great on that bike.

You have a couple of upgrades on it that I am also interested on installing and I have a couple of questions;

- How much better is the rear brake set up's performance versus stock?

- How much better is the barnett clutch versus stock or double D?

Mike

First off, very nice work done on your vmax. That is definitely one very nice bike and the front end looks great on that bike.

You have a couple of upgrades on it that I am also interested on installing and I have a couple of questions;

Mike

stock rear brake is probably fine if you change to stainless lines. i changed lines and calipers when i installed the rear wheel. i wanted it to match the fronts. bike stops way better than stock but i also have r1 fronts. never tried the double d mod, so i cant comment there. barnett clutch seems to grab better than the stock clutch-good for rolling burnouts! glad to help

later odieoh24

Mike

Hey Mike,
If you want stupid powerful rear brakes and less rotational mass try the Galfer wave rotor and line with EBC HH pads in the caliper and you will amazed...:surprise:

I have the Barnett setup and I like it a lot. It's made for the application works very well...

Attachments

• Vmax done #5 9-11-07.jpg
    Vmax done #5 9-11-07.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 102
Thanks for the info guys, I have EBC HH pads and HEL stainless lines with stock rotor. I just don't like the look of the stock rotor. Also currently using double D clutch, works good, but pretty stiff. I think we will go Barnett.

Mike

Thanks for the info guys, I have EBC HH pads and HEL stainless lines with stock rotor. I just don't like the look of the stock rotor. Also currently using double D clutch, works good, but pretty stiff. I think we will go Barnett.

Mike

My rear Galfer weighed 1 pound less than the stock rotor and works SO much better...:thumbs up:

Does anyone have the guy selling the wheels email address? I haven't seen any wheels posted on EBay in quite some time and I'd lkike to buy a rim.

Did everyone else observe the same offset?

Will the 18's kill the pick-up? How much higher do they rev with the 17's? Probably not too noticeable I'm guessing. My 170/80-15 rear is just about 4000 rpms at 60 mph for comparative purposes.

I am not crazy about the 18" solid, but the black one will match my black front.

I want to do something relatively affordably, but not sure if I would be happy with those ones.

Damn you Yamaha for making such an oddball rear rim and narrow swingarm on the Vmax :damn angry:

Will the 18's kill the pick-up? How much higher do they rev with the 17's? Probably not too noticeable I'm guessing. My 170/80-15 rear is just about 4000 rpms at 60 mph for comparative purposes.

I am not crazy about the 18" solid, but the black one will match my black front.

I want to do something relatively affordably, but not sure if I would be happy with those ones.

Damn you Yamaha for making such an oddball rear rim and narrow swing arm on the Vmax :damn angry:

The 18 will be almost exactly what you have now for final gearing... The weight of the wheel you're looking at WILL be heavier than stock I'm sure. I went with 18's front and rear and love them. :confused2: I had a 17 on the rear for a bit and the motor definitely ran more RPM's on the highway.

Damn you Yamaha for making such an oddball rear rim and narrow swingarm on the Vmax :damn angry:

My 18" rear with 180/50-18 Avon VenomR is about an 1/8 taller than the stock setup.

My RC wheels have an offset also and I've never noticed it making any difference; and I ride it HARD in the twisties.

The stock wheel also has an offset I've heard......

Rusty

Hey thanks for the quick response 4gasem and Rusty!

I like the sounds of the revs being about the same w/ the 18's, because I find mine to be a little much now on the highway. I am not into pro racing or the 120+ club, etc, but am into it more for show. I know the solid rim would be definately heavier than the oems, but would that make a real difference?

I didn't realize they made a 180/50-18, I thought they were all 55's, so that would help keep the profile down.

You must have carrozzieras (or however you spell it) 4gasem, they are sharp! I was just looking at pics of them.

Still thinking of what to do, but I am leaning for the 18" rear, and leave the front as is.

Thanks for the input! More welcome!

After looking around, asking questions, getting opinions and doing some research, I finally decided to buy an 18" solid rim in black off eightsnuff on ebay.

I figured out that the rim is made up from a v-rod rear rim matted to a vmax center hub. According to 2 buyers of this same rim that I contacted - they are both happy with their buy and provided me with pictures to check out.

For $600 + freight & tires, it's one of the cheapest ways to get on radial tires - which is the main goal of this upgrade

I almost jumped on the on the Carrozzieras on ebay, but the funds just weren't there for it.

Will let you know how it all works out when I install the rim.

:cheers: Mike

Sold wheel, hope you don't ride in the wind much. Good luck.

After looking around, asking questions, getting opinions and doing some research, I finally decided to buy an 18" solid rim in black off eightsnuff on ebay.

I figured out that the rim is made up from a v-rod rear rim matted to a vmax center hub. According to 2 buyers of this same rim that I contacted - they are both happy with their buy and provided me with pictures to check out.

For $600 + freight & tires, it's one of the cheapest ways to get on radial tires - which is the main goal of this upgrade

I almost jumped on the on the Carrozzieras on ebay, but the funds just weren't there for it.

Will let you know how it all works out when I install the rim.

I got my 18" rim today and thought that I would post my initial reaction of it.

Weight is 26lbs. (no tire - but otherwise complete)
Paint is a 5 out of 10 - s/b powdercoated - paint is still soft/fresh and has some imperfections (dust?)
Welds is a 8 out of 10
no woobles when bench tested
bearings & seals are new
clutch hub and dampers are in good condition

Overall, I am happy with the rim (except paint) and I will finally get radials on my max.

Will give a final review once it's on the bike and I take it for a ride.

I got my 18" rim today and thought that I would post my initial reaction of it.

Weight is 26lbs. (no tire - but otherwise complete)
Paint is a 5 out of 10 - s/b powdercoated - paint is still soft/fresh and has some imperfections (dust?)
Welds is a 8 out of 10
no woobles when bench tested
bearings & seals are new
clutch hub and dampers are in good condition

Overall, I am happy with the rim (except paint) and I will finally get radials on my max.

Will give a final review once it's on the bike and I take it for a ride.

26 lbs ...wow that seems pretty heavy, is it steel or aluminum? I think that the Hamman 17x9.0 wheels that I have on my M3 are 23.5 lbs. each

Edit: I just went and grabbed the new Carrozzeria rear wheel and it weighed in at 15 lbs +/- :punk:

I am curious to hear your input after riding with it, I came real close to buying one of those off ebay until I decided to bite the bullet and buck up for the Carrozzeria's.

Good luck

26 lbs ...wow that seems pretty heavy, is it steel or aluminum? I think that the Hamman 17x9.0 wheels that I have on my M3 are 23.5 lbs. each

Edit: I just went and grabbed the new Carrozzeria rear wheel and it weighed in at 15 lbs +/- :punk:

I am curious to hear your input after riding with it, I came real close to buying one of those off ebay until I decided to bite the bullet and buck up for the Carrozzeria's.

Good luck

I haven't weighed it but that was the weight given to me - but it is a heavy wheel - It's a vrod outer rim with the vmax hub inserted in the middle.

Does anybody know the weight of a stock vmax rear rim with a tire on? Would be interesting to see the difference.

Main goal was to get on radials to complete the chassis, suspension and brake upgrades to this bike. I do really like rims from Carrozzeria, but had to put the brakes on vmax mod expenses for now. Maybe next year:hmmm:

Back