Has anyone here tried one of these wheels yet?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't weighed it but that was the weight given to me - but it is a heavy wheel - It's a vrod outer rim with the vmax hub inserted in the middle.

Does anybody know the weight of a stock vmax rear rim with a tire on? Would be interesting to see the difference.

Main goal was to get on radials to complete the chassis, suspension and brake upgrades to this bike. I do really like rims from Carrozzeria, but had to put the brakes on vmax mod expenses for now. Maybe next year:hmmm:

:cheers: Mike

Congrats on the new wheel Mike, let us know how it runs, if the snow ever melts!

Ron

Congrats on the new wheel Mike, let us know how it runs, if the snow ever melts!

Ron

Thanks Ron, I know it will an improvement over bias tires, and the weight should be close to stock?

Another 4 weeks or so before we can ride up here. :clapping:

Hey Maxcruiser - any update yet?? How do you like that rim?? Pics?? I am thinking of buying the same one and would love to know how it all turned out...

Hey Maxcruiser - any update yet?? How do you like that rim?? Pics?? I am thinking of buying the same one and would love to know how it all turned out...

No update yet - ordered the tires - s/b in next week - will install in the next couple of weeks - currently have 2 feet of snow and I'm busy painting the main floor of the house - will update soon as it's on the bike tho

Hey maxcruiser, would love to see pics when you get it installed. I was thinking about buying the exact same rim, but bought a late model Z71 instead. This winter really sucked here in the east, and I had to rearrange priorities..

Hey maxcruiser, would love to see pics when you get it installed. I was thinking about buying the exact same rim, but bought a late model Z71 instead. This winter really sucked here in the east, and I had to rearrange priorities..

Hey VeeAte - I will post pics as soon as I can, but I do have some good pics that I got from a a guy when I was doing some research on them - This guy helped me make my decision - he got his chromed

Will post as soon as it is on bike

Mike

Attachments

• sargei1.jpg
    sargei1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 131
  • sargei2.jpg
    sargei2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 105
Crap, that looks A1 chromed, but that max has many chromed features to compliment it also. Love the shorty rear fender with that rear meat...

Anyway, I was planning to get the straight black one as my 97 is pretty much black anyway, as yours is. I haven't ruled it out yet though.

I like the oem black one on mine, but don't like that is a 15" with a high profile bias tire. Great for the dragstrip, but that's about it.

I think all the 18" avons are 55 and the metzeler me 880 is a 50.

Hey thanks for the quick response 4gasem and Rusty!

I like the sounds of the revs being about the same w/ the 18's, because I find mine to be a little much now on the highway. I am not into pro racing or the 120+ club, etc, but am into it more for show. I know the solid rim would be definately heavier than the oems, but would that make a real difference?

I didn't realize they made a 180/50-18, I thought they were all 55's, so that would help keep the profile down.

You must have carrozzieras (or however you spell it) 4gasem, they are sharp! I was just looking at pics of them.

Still thinking of what to do, but I am leaning for the 18" rear, and leave the front as is.

Thanks for the input! More welcome!

nice day 1/4 tank fuel,get balls off wife...lol, mich pilot road radials, racetech fork springs 0 psi, starfighter seat, lower forks in triple trees 1" and let him ripppp:rocket bike: that will put you in the 140+ club no shimmy no shake thanks to all the guys here , zinng ah ding ding :thumbs up:

Ok to answer the question of how much does the 18" solid ebay rim weigh versus stock. Weighed with tire and rotor installed;

stock - 42.8lbs

18" solid - 45.4lbs

It's a heavy rim, but not much more than the stock set up.

In the next couple of days I will get the wheels back on the the bike and will take some pics for those interested.

I bought his 17" wheel with the dunlop 208 190 tire for around $700. He is easy to deal with and the wheel looks great. The only part I didnt like was that I had to move the wheel and tire to the right about half an inch.

Thats because you have a 190 and no notch in swingarm. My 180 is on center, i have notched arm with about 1/4 inch left from arm to wheel.

I know a lot of you have asked on here what is the cheapest route. Here it is, whole set for around 1100 bucks. Buy the cycle one off rear then go to ebay and get an older model yzf600 front. This wheel fits the rotors and axle and it accepts a speed drive. speedo drive from boxenstopp for 80.00. You could also buy the yzf speedo but im not sure if it fits the max speeo cable. the drive from umotors probably aroun 60.00. the other thing is you have to grind a very minimal amount from the inside of the fork to fit the speedo drive and you would need spacers to center wheel

I did a lot of measuring and the offset was actually in the wheel. Maybe I got one of the first ones made because it sounds like everyone else is satisfied with the wheel they got.

I did a lot of measuring and the offset was actually in the wheel. Maybe I got one of the first ones made because it sounds like everyone else is satisfied with the wheel they got.

OK.. I was just thinking couldnt you put it on center if you had a notched arm and the right washers/spacers in the appropriate spot . but i suppose not because then your rotor wouldnt line up in the caliper, right?

OK.. I was just thinking couldnt you put it on center if you had a notched arm and the right washers/spacers in the appropriate spot . but i suppose not because then your rotor wouldnt line up in the caliper, right?
From what I remember everything including the spacer was in the original position. I figured the only way I was going to get the tire centered was to cut the center of the wheel out and reweld it, too big of a job for me.

Did anyone end up buying a 17 like I had? Are they still offset as bad as mine was? If the offset problem is fixed then I might buy another one.

Ok, here's my final take on the 18" solid rear rim from eightsnuff on ebay.

Had to take my 11.5" progressive rear shocks off as the tire was rubbing on the fender when it bottoms out - Put the stock rear shocks back on for now.

Included a couple of pictures for all to check out.

Overall, I am happy with the rear wheel and with the radial tires.

Mike

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 017 edited.jpg
    017 edited.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 102
that looks fantastic! ive been contemplating on that wheel for a long time now and i just cant make myself do it because of that offset. it just dosnt look right to me and it kills my boner when i notice it. I sure wish there was an easy way to make it look right,

wouldnt the bike track wierd with the wheel like that? this boggles my mind

that looks fantastic! ive been contemplating on that wheel for a long time now and i just cant make myself do it because of that offset. it just dosnt look right to me and it kills my boner when i notice it. I sure wish there was an easy way to make it look right,

wouldnt the bike track wierd with the wheel like that? this boggles my mind

I had the same concerns before buying it - it sits in the swingarm perfect, but is offset about 3/8" of an inch - doesn't track weird at all, but I have not checked front to back wheel alignment yet to see how off it is.

Now what I would like to see is a straight shot from the back of bike pictures of other custom rims, ie; Chris's Cazz wheels and others just to see how those wheels are. Any pics would be appreciated.

Mike

I had the same concerns before buying it - it sits in the swingarm perfect, but is offset about 3/8" of an inch - doesn't track weird at all, but I have not checked front to back wheel alignment yet to see how off it is.

Now what I would like to see is a straight shot from the back of bike pictures of other custom rims, ie; Chris's Cazz wheels and others just to see how those wheels are. Any pics would be appreciated.

Mike

i second that!

Back