Having fueling issue, where to start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC Max

Reaction score
I'm starting to put the bike back together for riding season, and have suddenly developed a fueling issue. The only modification I made in that area was the installation of new throttle cables.

The bike struggles to warm up. Once the bike warms up, it stutters when rolling into the throttle, but smooths out. After releasing the throttle, the bike takes a moment longer than it should to return to idle. Turn the bike off and restart, end up with a massive cloud of smoke from unburned fuel dumping into the exhaust. The idle itself seems on the hide side from where it should be.

I'm running a stage 7 kit with K&N pod filters

My experience with bike carbs is extremely limited. If this were an automotive app, it behaves like an accelerator pump is sticking, but I'm seeking professional opinions.

Until now, the bike has always run strong with absolutely no fueling issues. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

I'm starting to put the bike back together for riding season, and have suddenly developed a fueling issue. The only modification I made in that area was the installation of new throttle cables.

The bike struggles to warm up. Once the bike warms up, it stutters when rolling into the throttle, but smooths out. After releasing the throttle, the bike takes a moment longer than it should to return to idle. Turn the bike off and restart, end up with a massive cloud of smoke from unburned fuel dumping into the exhaust. The idle itself seems on the hide side from where it should be.

I'm running a stage 7 kit with K&N pod filters

My experience with bike carbs is extremely limited. If this were an automotive app, it behaves like an accelerator pump is sticking, but I'm seeking professional opinions.

Until now, the bike has always run strong with absolutely no fueling issues. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Ok I always like to start off with the simple things first and work into more in depth repairs.. So I first ask you..
Have you used the product Seafoam?
Have you performed the PEASHOOTER on the carbs..

Sounds as you have some stopped up PAJ's

I'll go one even simpler: when was the last time you sync'd your carbs? It's due monthly according to the Yamaha service manual..

I did treat the fuel with Seafoam
Please pardon my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with the PEASHOOTER when it comes to carbs.

I have not synced the carbs (wasn't aware it was called for monthly :oops: ). I will see about getting my hands on a gauge set.

I did treat the fuel with Seafoam
Please pardon my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with the PEASHOOTER when it comes to carbs.

I have not synced the carbs (wasn't aware it was called for monthly :oops: ). I will see about getting my hands on a gauge set.

I wouldnt recommend synching carbs monthly.... Only time I synch my carbs are ..

1) I remove the carbs from the intake.
2) When I have symptoms of they are out of synch.
3) Or when Mark wants to adjust my floats I steal his tools and synch my carbs cause he doesnt know how to.

it's not the intake it's the emissions you have to worry about.

Sounds like we're suddenly dealing with more than just my fueling issues!

And that, KC, is just one of the things that makes this place so damned interesting!

I would only add, that you should also check your filter...especially if the bike has been setting up for awhile....and more so if it's a 'stock' Yamaha filter... You can't really see into those, and they are smaller than most aftermkts... If the fuel in the original has congealed, or is otherwise plugged, that could also create the 'symptoms' you describe.

Buy an aftermkt...Purolator, or I run one from Mr Gasket...replaceable 'inards' (if necessary), and easy to take apart and clean otherwise.

If that ain't it...start researching the 'shotgun', and go that route.... If that doesn't 'fix' it...then I know a guy in Omaha!~....Tell 'im Uncle Philthy sent ya!

Good Luck!

Back