headlight that works

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

run990

Reaction score
i am trying to find a suitable way of uprating my max headlight,it has the double relay mod .however the beam patten is useless on either dip or main,tried another yam reflector from a virago ,just the same.i ride on back roads & every car coming towards me has superbright lights,they dont dazzle but blot out the measily light from mine.is there a better modern complex headlamp reflector that fits & improves the beam.i have been looking at hid kits,however if the beam is the problem so a brighter crap beam is no better.
i dont want to add more lights but dont mind swapping for a similar size unit.i have toyed with projector lights but cannot find a bates type fitment

I got years ago a set of projectors as I wanted a good cut and focused beam. It ended up working fine and matching the specific look I was looking for.

If you want to keep the original look you could get a round housing with a projector retrofitted.

Else you can always look at mt-03 or vrod headlights which seem to have good results.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I fitted one from a Honda Hornet (have a look at my album) which is better than OE but as I don't ride at night can't say how much better.

......that may not have been much help, I'll see meself out.

Three days ago I installed a 35W Hi/lo HID from DDMTUNING. Tuning and it is amazing. Small, slim ballasts, complete wiring harness included and only 2 wires to connect to the batter and ground. Simple installation and with the 5000k white light, the output is amazing. It's like daytime now, I installed it into the factory headlight so nothing else to buy. All totaled, the kit cost $31 and $15 shipping to Guam. I definitely would recommend DDM tuning to anyone else looking to keep the factory look but wanting to update old technology.

Dave:
Here's a question from someone who really knows nothing about HID lighting..
You mention Hi/Lo HID. I assume from that you can switch lo beam / hi beam as before the mod.. Are there 2 hid bulbs to replace the 2 filaments in a H4 bulb, or is there some other way to change the beam?

The ddm kit has one bulb that gives you hi and low beam. Some kits have a crappy little 35w bulb in there for hi-beam. In a reflector housing, there's not as much difference between hi/lo as I'd like, but it sure is bright.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Dave:
Here's a question from someone who really knows nothing about HID lighting..
You mention Hi/Lo HID. I assume from that you can switch lo beam / hi beam as before the mod.. Are there 2 hid bulbs to replace the 2 filaments in a H4 bulb, or is there some other way to change the beam?
Hey bill have Ian help you install an HID Kit, then I can see if I like yours enough to buy one too. ;)

Actually I was thinking that for the $40 or so it might be worth getting that DDMTuning kit when I have to mess with my headlight this Spring.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-HiLo-Motorcycle-HID-Kit

I'll have Ian BUY the kit.... We know who's gonna ber doing most of the riding on it next spring!

Three days ago I installed a 35W Hi/lo HID from DDMTUNING. Tuning and it is amazing. Small, slim ballasts, complete wiring harness included and only 2 wires to connect to the batter and ground. Simple installation and with the 5000k white light, the output is amazing. It's like daytime now, I installed it into the factory headlight so nothing else to buy. All totaled, the kit cost $31 and $15 shipping to Guam. I definitely would recommend DDM tuning to anyone else looking to keep the factory look but wanting to update old technology.
thanks for the info,i will be investing in a hid kit,seen loads fitted but people seemed more fixated on the light colour than the output & function of the light,now i know a stock reflector will work i will proceed

This seems like an excellent way to improve visibility. What made you decide to go with 35w instead of 55w for even more light?

My wife already told me to feed the mod monkey ASAP for this mod since it is in the name of safety :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

^ I was thinking 35W also just to keep glare for oncoming traffic to a minimum and still add a lot of light output.
I've seen a few Vmaxes with the 35W and a few with the 55W HIDs and the 55W just seemed a bit too bright to me.
But when properly aimed (slightly down and right) neither blinded oncoming traffic.

Last edited:
I was wondering if the 55w might get too hot in the small Max headlight housing? Otherwise I would want the most light possible. After you get a certain age, your night vision turns to s**t...

I was wondering if the 55w might get too hot in the small Max headlight housing? Otherwise I would want the most light possible. After you get a certain age, your night vision turns to s**t...

I have a DDM 55w in my stock housing, it does get hot but it's never melted anything. I put a toggle on it to shut it off (had no choice, "start" button is nitrous activation and headlight went out when spraying) when I need extra juice for my bottle heater or just sitting for a long time.

sent from my HTC Rezound using tapatalk

Sorry I didn't respond but being Guam time, I'm off by 12-14 hours of most people on here. The 35w HI/LO beam only has 1 bulb in it. The hi function is nothing more than the reflector attached to the bulb pivots the beam up slightly. There is no change to beam brightness just position. I showed a friend the setup and he decided he is going to install the 55W single beam kit. With that much light output, he feels there is no need for a high beam. I can say that the small ballast and all the wiring fit neatly on top of the front cylinders on top of the Ignition module. I'll be watching to see if it gets too mot and melts something until I can get some heat shielding between the two items.

No problem at all, I haven't ordered anything yet anyway. It looks like you get 1600 more lumens for the 55w and it still had the hi/lo functionality according to the ddm site. Both use the slim ballast so fitament should be similar. I think I am going to give it a go and see how it turns out. Both are an amazing price for the benefit you get from it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I ran 3 ddmtuning kits in two cars and a truck, and they worked for over 3 years, and then began to give me problems. They were sold w/a 'lifetime guarantee,' but I haven't sent them back yet for replacement. The cable locking collars all have noticeably corroded though there doesn't appear to be any corrosion on the conductor itself if you remove the cable. I liked the output very much and am disappointed in what has happened. Once I apply for a warranty-return on them I'll inform the forum about their service.

Latest posts

Back