Headshake Reduction

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MONTREALMAX

Reaction score
Hello, I have put about 1200 miles on my first VMAX (1996 stock) so far this season. Love the power hate the suspension, especially the front end. Seems ridiculous that Yamaha left the front end this bad for over 20 years but I did own a Motobecane when I was a kid so I know a thing or two about ridiculous . I know this topic has probably been done to death but I would still like to pick your brains.

If you were to buy a 1st gen brand new, what would be the suspension mods that you would do in order of preference to reduce the headshake foremost and improve the handling that shows up at various speeds. What have you guys done over the years that has produced the biggest bang for your suspension mod buck? The only thing that I have done is change the original rubber Dunlop Qualifier cement rings to Metzeler 880 Marathon's which helped very little.

Attachments

• rusty.jpg
    rusty.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 13
M.M. First thing I would do is check tire pressures. Then, check steering bearings, properly torque ring nuts and head nut. Then, check swingarm bearings and adjustment.

I agree with Mark, check all bearings, front and back wheel, swingarm and especially steering bearings - next new front springs (if not already done), progessive or Racetech and 15wt oil, check tire condition.

Make sure that the bike is up to par first, than you can make improvements.

Mike

What tire pressures do you run fr/back generally? I am 6'5" 330lbs

front suspension is stock 14lbs air stock springs previous owner said he had just done the fork seals not sure of oil weight

rear is stock set at 3 and 3

front tire air 35lbs rear 38lbs

and what do you torque the ring and head nut to or does this vary?

MM, I'm 6 ft 230 and run 42 -44 front and 40-42 rear.

First ring nut torque to 76 ft/lbs and then walk away for an hour. Loosen a tad and re-torque to 76 ft/lbs. Now, loosen and tighten to about 3 ft/lbs and then do the bounce test and keep torquing until steering feels tight with no bouncing of the stops or hang ups.

Finger tighten the top ring nut so grooves match 1st ring nut. If they don't match hold the bottom ring nut while tightening the top until they line up.

Head nut I tighten to about 80 ft/lbs.

THANKS FOR THE INFO I will try that for the two nuts

When I had the tires changed 2 weeks ago the stealer confirmed that steering and swingarm bearings were good, they also seem fine to me. but with the pronounced shake that i get at low speeds something is not right

do you recommend a increase in air pressures front and back for someone of my weight?

Try running max tire pressure and see if that makes it better or worse. I think max would be 45-46 psi.

HELLO MARK I TRIED BOTH OF YOUR SUGGESTIONS. AMAZING THE DIFFERENCE JUST ADDING 6LBS OF PRESSURE TO THE TIRES MAKES! WENT OUT FOR A RIDE WITH JUST THAT DONE AND THE WOBBLE REDUCTION WAS SIGNIFICANT. I AM NOW RUNNING 44LBS FRONT AND BACK IT STILL HAS A SLIGHT WOBBLE BUT NOTHING TOO SERIOUS.
MY 1985 VF1000R HAD ROUGHLY THE SAME THING AND I WENT CRAZY TRYING TO ELIMINATE IT.
I MISS THAT BIKE TREMENDOUSLY NEVER SHOULD HAVE SOLD IT............:tantrum:

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY TRICKS TO INCREASE THE PRELOAD ON THE REAR SPRINGS WITHOUT NEEDING STITCHES AFTERWARD?

HELLO MARK I TRIED BOTH OF YOUR SUGGESTIONS. AMAZING THE DIFFERENCE JUST ADDING 6LBS OF PRESSURE TO THE TIRES MAKES! WENT OUT FOR A RIDE WITH JUST THAT DONE AND THE WOBBLE REDUCTION WAS SIGNIFICANT. I AM NOW RUNNING 44LBS FRONT AND BACK IT STILL HAS A SLIGHT WOBBLE BUT NOTHING TOO SERIOUS.
MY 1985 VF1000R HAD ROUGHLY THE SAME THING AND I WENT CRAZY TRYING TO ELIMINATE IT.
I MISS THAT BIKE TREMENDOUSLY NEVER SHOULD HAVE SOLD IT............:tantrum:

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY TRICKS TO INCREASE THE PRELOAD ON THE REAR SPRINGS WITHOUT NEEDING STITCHES AFTERWARD?
had a vf1000r we talking the red white and blue bike 600 lb sport bike...thats the first and only time i went 150 mph

MY dog has head shakes when he gets out of the bath tub but I dont think he would like his nuts retorqued.:rofl_200:

yes the red white a blue one

loved that bike at the time parts were harder to come by especially cosmetic stuff

the internet was only a nerd's wet dream in the early 90's

put the ad in the paper and it was sold 6 hours later to a guy who restores older japanese sport bikes

Attachments

• Vf100r.jpg
    Vf100r.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 13
Back