Hi from South Florida Sunny Isles Beach

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmax9040

Reaction score
Want to introduce myself , father of 5 kids , own a 2008 Big Dog Ridgeback , my brother had a 1st gen Vmax back in the 90’s which I rode , 2 of my friends are current owners of Vmax’s 1700 , and today i am picking up my 2012 Vmax with 14k miles from the Pompano Beach área .
Price $9000 out the door inc taxes tag transfer .
Fair deal ?
bike is in showroom condition with cat delete stock exhaust.
Pleasure to be an owner of probably one of the most iconic motorcycles ever

Attachments

• 938DEA5E-8AF5-40C9-9991-27517C67CD46.jpeg
    938DEA5E-8AF5-40C9-9991-27517C67CD46.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 26
  • C776817F-F4AA-41A4-AE4F-71CD296ADC64.jpeg
    C776817F-F4AA-41A4-AE4F-71CD296ADC64.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 25
  • F544E96A-4514-41D4-A5DC-68F6B54BCD86.jpeg
    F544E96A-4514-41D4-A5DC-68F6B54BCD86.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 27
  • 1C48920D-7E4A-49EC-8C48-5AD574D06217.jpeg
    1C48920D-7E4A-49EC-8C48-5AD574D06217.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 23
Welcome and congrats on the VMax! Two friends with VMax's as well? Wow! Let the good times roll! Lot's of smiles ahead for you.

That is a very fair "out the door" price for a clean 2012 with low mileage.

I did notice the heat shields that are before the mufflers are missing. Did they come with the bike?

They should be able to go back on with a cat replacement that can use the stock mufflers. They will clean up that unfinished look of the exhaust before the muffler. If you don't have them let me know, I have at least one set lying around.

Best of luck with the bike and stay safe.

Mark

My friend Bill Boyce is the #1 senior Yamaha tech at Riva Yamaha in Pompano Beach. He was around for its release fir the '85 model. I'm sure by-now he's serviced a lot of the Gen II models.

Be sure to add your location under your screen name, it will help me to recall whom you are, as you post. It will also inform others in the area where you are. The weather today is perfect for riding! I think April is probably my favorite month in south Florida and 6 months later would be October, another usually-good weather time.

The end of January Dania Beach AMCA meet was a big success. It beat COVID-19 and there were many bikes to see. If you haven't gone there, mark it on your calendar.

I usually shop for tires, helmets, clothes, oil, and other motorcycling supplies at Competition Cycle Center on Old Griffin Rd. in Dania Beach, just south of "new" Griffin Rd, and east of I-95. Look 'em up on the web. Gabriel, Duke, and Cliff are usually who I speak-to.

Sounds like a good price on the bike.

Please AGATT, because-of Florida drivers being crazy-aggressive, not all of them, but all the dangerous ones. Wear-out armored gear, including helmets and gloves, instead of your body. I rode rescue here many years, and though retired, I have vivid memories of 'the bad-ones.' Probably-enough to give me PTSD.

Welcome and congrats on the VMax! Two friends with VMax's as well? Wow! Let the good times roll! Lot's of smiles ahead for you.

That is a very fair "out the door" price for a clean 2012 with low mileage.

I did notice the heat shields that are before the mufflers are missing. Did they come with the bike?

They should be able to go back on with a cat replacement that can use the stock mufflers. They will clean up that unfinished look of the exhaust before the muffler. If you don't have them let me know, I have at least one set lying around.

Best of luck with the bike and stay safe.

Mark

Mark ,

thanks for your reply , that was going to be a question for the group , need to take care of the shields , previous owner doesn’t have the shields ... do you think oem shields can fit after the cat delete mod ?? If yes , let me know how much you want for them if you have them ...

Thanks

My friend Bill Boyce is the #1 senior Yamaha tech at Riva Yamaha in Pompano Beach. He was around for its release fir the '85 model. I'm sure by-now he's serviced a lot of the Gen II models.

Be sure to add your location under your screen name, it will help me to recall whom you are, as you post. It will also inform others in the area where you are. The weather today is perfect for riding! I think April is probably my favorite month in south Florida and 6 months later would be October, another usually-good weather time.

The end of January Dania Beach AMCA meet was a big success. It beat COVID-19 and there were many bikes to see. If you haven't gone there, mark it on your calendar.

I usually shop for tires, helmets, clothes, oil, and other motorcycling supplies at Competition Cycle Center on Old Griffin Rd. in Dania Beach, just south of "new" Griffin Rd, and east of I-95. Look 'em up on the web. Gabriel, Duke, and Cliff are usually who I speak-to.

Sounds like a good price on the bike.

Please AGATT, because-of Florida drivers being crazy-aggressive, not all of them, but all the dangerous ones. Wear-out armored gear, including helmets and gloves, instead of your body. I rode rescue here many years, and though retired, I have vivid memories of 'the bad-ones.' Probably-enough to give me PTSD.

hi ,

yes , that’s where I purchase the bike exactly ... Riva Pompano ...

and Competition Cycle , yes I know them , I know Gabriel , nice guy ! I will put that event on my calendar , wasn’t aware ,thanks

got the bike today and me and some friends rode down south on A1A since I-95 south had miles of traffic jam ...
great first experience!! Bike is fast and need to get used to it ... Love the bike ! Completely diff bike than my Big Dog Ridgeback ...

thanks everyone !!

You should introduce yourself to Bill Boyce when you are up there at Riva Yamaha. Here's a pic of one of his vintage bikes, at the Dania Beach FL show from 2015. It's a Bultaco Metralla with a Bultaco Astro engine in it, is what I recall Bill telling me. The Astro was one of the most-powerful engines they built, as it was a racing engine for flattrack use.

I've known the gang at Competition Cycle Center since the business was on US-1 (early to mid-1970's) across-from the Ft. Lauderdale Airport, by the Centerfold Lounge, which was just what it sounds-like.

2015 Dania AMCA 085.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome from the normal side of FLA. I am only a Gen 1 guy but love them all !

Love them all as well , my brother had a yellow gen 1 ...

You should introduce yourself to Bill Boyce when you are up there at Riva Yamaha. Here's a pic of one of his vintage bikes, at the Dania Beach FL show from 2015. It's a Bultaco Metralla with a Bultaco Astro engine in it, is what I recall Bill telling me. The Astro was one of the most-powerful engines they built, as it was a racing engine for flattrack use.

I've known the gang at Competition Cycle Center since the business was on US-1 across-from the Ft. Lauderdale Airport, by the Centerfold Lounge, which was just what it sounds-like.

View attachment 71443
Sure I will try when I get back there for my tag ...

Nice bike

Here's a pic of Bill Boyce, he's on the left, and the couple on the right are Fred Kolman and his wife, from Ottawa Canada, where he owns a Yamaha dealership. His son does the day-to-day, and Fred likes to do things with his collection of vintage bikes. If you've ever-seen On Any Sunday, you've seen Fred in-action. He's the guy who beats world-class racer Yuvon DuHamal during the only ice-racing sequence.

Fred Kolman ice racer On Any Sunday.02.jpg

Fred said "it was the only-time I think I beat him, but that was the race Bruce Brown chose for the movie." Yuvon was the guy who would win, blow-up the bike trying to-win, or wreck it trying to win.

Photo from the AMCA Dania Beach FL meet, a couple of years-ago. Fred had his Bultaco ice-racer in the show, the same one from the movie.

Awesome ,

thanks for sharing , definitely will attend Dania Beach bike meet next time ...

A female friend of mine and her husband are the primary sponsors for the event, they represent a dog rescue group. All proceeds above the fees they pay to the city go-to the dog-rescue group. It's free entry, but I always buy a poster and a t-shirt, and patronize the beverage and food vendors on the grounds. Interestingly, the park next-to Dania Jai-Alai where the event is-held, is named after her family, a pioneering Danish family in the community, back when Dania (no "Beach," as that was added not long-ago) was still considered to be part of Dade County (now "Miami-Dade County") when Dania was incorporated, the first community to do that in what is now Broward County. About 1923, Broward County was formed from the north 1/3 of Dade County, and the southern third of Palm Beach County.

In 2019 there was a torrential downpour the morning of the event, I went over early to cruise the parts 'autojumble' as they say across the pond, about an hour after sunrise. I got there in-time to-see the Budweiser truck which has a set of dispensing taps on its side attempt to cross the athletic field to its designated parking spot. Unfortunately, the ground was saturated with water, and the truck got stuck in the middle of the display area! However, a group of attendees worked to get the truck underway/unstuck, and it was able to set-up for operations. God must-have been looking-down with kindness on the day's event, because at the official opening time, the rain weather ceased, and stayed away until probably 3:30 PM, when it began a bit of rain again, nowhere-near as heavy as it had been around dawn.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/amca-dania-beach-fl.27492/

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/dania-beach-fl-amca-show.43543/

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/dania-beach-fl-jan-30-sunday-amca-meet.40358/

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/amca-january-25-2014-meet-in-so-florida-dania-beach.31518/

Dania HMCA Bike SHow 2014 013 Brough Superior.jpg
Ever-wonder what Lawrence of Arabia rode? A Brough Superior, "the Rolls-Royce of motorcycles." Pronounced, "Bruff." After Rolls-Royce inspected the production of, and examples of the Brough motorcycle, they assented to allowing George Brough to use that phrase for his advertising. Interestingly, Brough used other manufacturers' engines, the JAP (British manufacturer J.A. Prestwich being one of the best-known, and most-desirable), Swiss MAG (an inlet-over-exhaust design); the Barr & Stroud sleeve-valve engine (an unusual design, no OHV or side valves, intake and exhaust were accomplished by a sliding sleeve, this design of engine was used on some of the most-powerful autos on the market). The JAP engines were offered in both side-valve and in OHV configurations, and they named the 1-litre OHV V-twin a name that preceded Harley-Davidson's use of the name: "Super Big Twin." The prototype of the Brough Superior SS100 (the 'SS' an abbreviation for Super Sports) was probably what could be considered the first superbike, as it did nearly 119 MPH, in 1924! The example above is indeed, a Brough Superior SS100; if you think, "hmm, I'd like to have one of those in the garage," better sell your house. A basketcase SS100 sold in the U.K. in 2019 for $561,000!
https://newatlas.com/motorcycle-world-auction-record-brough-superior/58701/

Dania Motorcycle Show 2020.jpg

Last edited:
So much knowledge and history , wow ..

i opened up a new thread “clutch slipping” yep
I noticed yesterday and today clutch is slipping, see new thread and comment please . I think it needs a new clutch

Mark ,

thanks for your reply , that was going to be a question for the group , need to take care of the shields , previous owner doesn’t have the shields ... do you think oem shields can fit after the cat delete mod ?? If yes , let me know how much you want for them if you have them ...

Thanks

Yes I have a pair.

Do you know which cat delete is on the bike? Maybe an Akrapovic?

Mark

Last edited:
3F5F861A-30A1-4C8C-9760-E17CE6FD24A6.jpeg 9DBD61FB-A3F8-4019-A489-9E77288986C5.jpeg 650FF132-973F-4589-9A4F-50654A191E69.jpeg
Yes I have a pair.

Do you know which cat delete is on the bike? Maybe an Akrapovic?

Mark

Hi Mark ,

i don’t really know what cat delete I have on it ( was done by previous owner ) see attached pics , 650FF132-973F-4589-9A4F-50654A191E69.jpeg9DBD61FB-A3F8-4019-A489-9E77288986C5.jpeg3F5F861A-30A1-4C8C-9760-E17CE6FD24A6.jpeg

Please let me know how much do you want for those covers ,

thanks

Here's a pic of Bill Boyce, he's on the left, and the couple on the right are Fred Kolman and his wife, from Ottawa Canada, where he owns a Yamaha dealership. His son does the day-to-day, and Fred likes to do things with his collection of vintage bikes. If you've ever-seen On Any Sunday, you've seen Fred in-action. He's the guy who beats world-class racer Yuvon DuHamal during the only ice-racing sequence.

View attachment 71452

Fred said "it was the only-time I think I beat him, but that was the race Bruce Brown chose for the movie." Yuvon was the guy who would win, blow-up the bike trying to-win, or wreck it trying to win.

Photo from the AMCA Dania Beach FL meet, a couple of years-ago. Fred had his Bultaco ice-racer in the show, the same one from the movie.

guess who I met at service department at Riva Pompano this morning?
Yes , Bill Boyce himself, small world ...

great guy by the way .

Back