Hi. Newbie w/general question...2000vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowprophet1

Reaction score
Hi. New to the site, but had an '89 for many years w/no problems. Finally (family growing up) able to get my hands on another vmax. I picked up a beautiful 2000 w/7500 miles from a friend who took extremely good care of it. (owned by a lady). My question is...on the 2000, what issues should I look for/correct. I will take good care of it, but will someday take it to the strip and try to get some good numbers. (oil pump not good enough?, will it smack the valves at "x" rpms?). Let me know what I need to keep the demons away. The battery was on it's way out so I picked up a 300cca AGM battery from the goldwings.:punk:

Take a look at the plugs, oil and coolant to see how it was maintained. Compression and oil pressure are also good things to check.

Congrats on your purchase!

Hi. New to the site, but had an '89 for many years w/no problems. Finally (family growing up) able to get my hands on another vmax. I picked up a beautiful 2000 w/7500 miles from a friend who took extremely good care of it. (owned by a lady). My question is...on the 2000, what issues should I look for/correct. I will take good care of it, but will someday take it to the strip and try to get some good numbers. (oil pump not good enough?, will it smack the valves at "x" rpms?). Let me know what I need to keep the demons away. The battery was on it's way out so I picked up a 300cca AGM battery from the goldwings.:punk:

I have drag raced my VMAX for 5 yrs and went through 4 engines all rod bearings spun.
One word of advice, dont over rev this engine. I used to have my shift light set to 10,500 I now shift at 9200 and it doesnt really make a difference I am still able to hit 101 MPH in the eighth and run in the high 6's.

Thanks for that advice about not over-revving it! I wonder if a good balance job or an oil passage mod might help, but I guess it really doesn't need to be revving that high! I think I can behave w/the rpms. Thanks!

Back