HID intermittent initial operation.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threebeards

Reaction score
Morning all, I've an exactrep HID. Kit installed on my 88, it worked fine for a while, oddly enough BEFORE, I'd fixed my charging problem, now that I have a good 12V with the ignition on, and over 14V when running, I now have an issue where sometimes the headlight illuminates when I turn on the key (canadian max originally) at other times I've found myself switching between HI and LO several times, out of desperation and curiosity, to find that this will work, sometimes.
I've tried putting a standard bulb type back in to test and that works first time every time.
This leads me to believe thee could be an issue with the ballast, I live in Vegas so moisture is not an issue. Anybody else encountered this?
I've read on a few car forums that similar issues arise from not enough power, but that is contrary to my situation as I now have plenty, or so it would seem???
Thanks Threebeards.

Yes,yes,yes!

I chased every cause possible, trouble shot till I couldn't shoot anymore, then in an internet search I saw an article about the Mosfet R/R and got one from Steels salvage
here in Denver.
I think the Mosfet gives a steadier current flow is the object here for H.I.D. and come
from the newer R1's . The parts guy there said the one I have is from an 06-09 bike.

My H.I.D. would stay lit for bout 10 minutes then shut the F%(! off right in night time traffic! Or would shut off if I reved above 2k, that means just going through the gears would shut off the light.

After a half hr. of that scary shit it would stay on.

I wired in the Mosfet and all the wiring upgrades suggested (12g, soldered, heat shrinked) and got 13.8 volts with fan on and all running lights at idle or reved high, no more flicker.

I had also gone all L.E.D. running/brake and blinkers at the time with no further issues. I now have it mounted where the center stand mounts were.

Attachments

• 040513175447.jpg
    040513175447.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 30
I have a mosfet R/R installed, did you ever notice that the cold effected it, that seems to be the only thing that makes sense to me.

Thanks, though I should perhaps clarify, I'm experiencing NO flickering or any kind of failure,IF the bulb lights initially,
this is JUST an initial lighting issue. If the bulb does indeed light, the beam is stable and continuous.
The trend seems to also be, that if it works it'll work again after sitting for a short time say an hour or two, any longer and it doesn't light.

Back