How many bikes is too many..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marky_max

Reaction score
I have 3:
Brand new Buell Lightning long XB12Ss
2005 Yamaha YZ450f with a paddle for the desert.
93 Vmax..

I hate to admit it but my Vmax was up for sale for the last few weeks. I have had it for 2 years and really enjoyed it. It is up for re-registration next week and I have to pay 260 bucks just to get 3rd party insurance. So I thought I might have to let it go since I just bought the Buell.
I had the bike sold twice but both times the prospective buyers were looking at 400+ for insurance and it scared them off. My 260 dollar deal apparently is a good deal because of my proven safe riding record. Sheesh. Insurance is tough here for any Jap bike because the young guys here tend to ride like crazy. Lots of accidents..

So I might be keeping the Vmax after all. I can deal with that. The Buell is a beautiful bike to ride, it is torquey and it has a great suspension, but there is just something about sitting upright like you are in your living room and letting go of 145 horsepower and 107 nm with a flick of the wrist...

Besides I am only looking at about 2700 dollars as sale price (in my hand) so that is a good cheap bike. I think I'll keep it for trips out of town. The Buell is great in traffic but the Max will be fun for day trips...

Anyways the irony is with me a bit here. I have a Japanese cruiser bike, when everyone knows Harley leads the cruiser market. But I love the Vmax for its power, speed and torque IMHO it is what a cruiser should be.

Then my 'sportsbike' well strreetfighter, is American when everyone knows that the Japanese bikes lead the sportsbike scene. The Buell handles as good as any jap bike IMHO and what it lacks in HP it makes up for in handing and torque..

Anyways, 3 bikes 3 different kinds of riding. Rode the Buell to work today, rode out for some errands on the Vmax. Riding the YZ in the desert tomorrow. Another day in paradise. Living the dream...

Marky_max said:
Another day in paradise. Living the dream...
Had to smile at your "Another day in paradise. Living the dream..." It's great that you're a sand bunny but to me it's a little like the ocean, it's great for a short visit but would have to say "is that all there is?" Winter isn't so bad (ahem), it makes us appreciate the summer that much more.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone can have too many bikes! 3 is a pretty good number and that is what I will probably be at soon. I have the Vmax and an enduro bike (DRZ400). I want to round out the collection with a litre SS bike (probably a 1K Gixxer).
BTW your insurance rates are pretty cheap. The rates here in Canada are rediculous!
There is a thread here on the forum where people post what they are paying for insurance.... it is a real eye opener.

Limited only by garage space I think....

I could easily name a dozen bikes I would love to have but I have to control myself. My wallet keeps me in check anyhow.

I got into firearms a few years ago and ended up with over 40 weapons so I know how susceptible I am to being obsessed with something.
Where the hell would I put 40 bikes???

88 Vmax
83 Rebel
93 Virago
00 R6 (trackbike)

Just find different uses for them. My dad rides the Virago unless I want to take a woman for a ride, The Rebel I loan out to people who are learning or taking thier liscence tests (has to be done on a 250 or under here) The R6 is a recent purchase and is strictly track only. And my Vmax is my main workhorse and everyday enjoyment ride.

If you can afford it, why not? I can think of worse ways to spend my money.

Crap, I am not even sure how many I have at the moment.

Sean

one2dmax said:
Crap, I am not even sure how many I have at the moment.

Sean

I've seen your sweet list of cars, I can imagine the bike list looks pretty good too.

you can never have too many...as long as they arent sitting there rotting in your garage when someone else could be enjoying them

My insurance on my 85 max is 125.00 per year.
I dont think my ins. co. considered it a muscle bike...lol

Hey Wfcall, the blue bike is my flattracker that I race with in South Dakota and Wyoming. It's a Yamaha XT500 with cam, headwork, 38 Mik roundslide, 11.5:1 compression with Jemco pipe, frame deraked to 25 degrees and Works shocks. The yellow streettracker is a bike I built two years ago from a 1976 Yamaha XS650. It's my fun bike as it goes like snot and looks pretty good to boot. I took it down to 340 lbs from the stock weight of 487. In Sturgis last summer there were more pics taken of it than most of the $40K Harley's.

If a women (who only has two feet), can have an unlimited number of shoes, I don't see why there should be a limit put on our Bikes....lol

Max01red said:
If a women (who only has two feet), can have an unlimited number of shoes, I don't see why there should be a limit put on our Bikes....lol
Hahaha... excellent point! That ends this debate! :D

Max01red said:

Couldn't be said any more elequently (sp?)

Back