How many Vmax'es are there?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The VIN # will have ten digits and follow the following format:

1st digit - country of origin
The second character represents the manufacturer. All Yamaha bikes should have "Y "here
The third digit identifies the vehicle type (A = motorcycle)
Digits four to six identify the model
Digit seven - the market for which he bike was intended - E = US 49 state, F = California, N = Canada etc.
The ninth digit is a security key to ensure the VIN is valid.
The 10th digit is for the model year. These digits run J through Y for 1988 through 2000 and then switch to a numbers system.

Therefore a Yamaha motorcycle VIN will always start JYA.

https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/vin-number.47454/

Interesting. How about the number on the block? I think the last 2000ish one I looked at was in the 20K range so would have expected something in the 30K range on your blocks. Maybe someone from each of the years can chime in.

I'll have to look over what I have in the shop here too.
1398 is last four of my 07 Vmax I was searching for same thing sense this was last year. Was curious. Any find anymore enough

more than likely due to the 'snapping frame' i've heard about, there was a mass reacall or something??

But I do know from a previous read up on vmax history the '85 was the best selling jap bike of that year even knocking the cb750 (think that was the bike) off its mantle!

nobody mentioned '92 :tantrum: anybody else have one?? I haven't even seen another for sale!!!

maybe not so much '92's as the '93 came with a few new parts
Hi I have a '92 but it is a European spec bike(registered in spain), restricted to under 100bhp thanks to restrictive horsepower regs in Germany (so I'm told). I haven't really checked this out but I don't think my bike has the Vboost at all. I'm OK with that though as for me just under 100bhp is fine. If anyone else on here knows any more re European spec bikes I would be glad to hear from them. Also just changed the engine/gearbox oil and my bike has the housing containing a paper type oil filter element. I put Shell HELIX HX5 15W-40 (API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B3) in the bike.

Another thread has 8,800 USA 1985's, and over 22 years, 1985-2007, that makes 21 other years, minus 1987 in the USA, (making it 20 years) when other markets besides the USA had bikes built for them. At 2,000/year, add that up, it's 48,800 motorcycles. Assuming that all other world markets comprise perhaps 1/3 of the USA total (which is merely a W.A.G.) that's another ~16,000 bikes, for a total of 48,800+16,000=54,800 VMax motorcycles for the 22 years of manufacture. That's ~2,491 motorcycles worldwide per year, and in no-way is any official count. I've done my part, I've had .0001%

Another thread has 8,800 USA 1985's, and over 22 years, 1985-2007, that makes 21 other years, minus 1987 in the USA, (making it 20 years) when other markets besides the USA had bikes built for them. At 2,000/year, add that up, it's 48,800 motorcycles. Assuming that all other world markets comprise perhaps 1/3 of the USA total (which is merely a W.A.G.) that's another ~16,000 bikes, for a total of 48,800+16,000=54,800 VMax motorcycles for the 22 years of manufacture. That's ~2,491 motorcycles worldwide per year, and in no-way is any official count. I've done my part, I've had .0001%
You sir sure have done your part

Back