How much valve tick is normal?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBreinin

Reaction score
Another question about my '85 Max. When it warms up it definitely has some noise from the valvetrain. Very minor, but steady, ticking. Bike has 24,500 miles and I do not know if it has had an adjustment, so I do plan on getting that done once I find a competent local mechanic. It also may be a side effect of the too thin synthetic oil I am running right now. However, I was curious if anyone else has experience with valvetrain noise.

For the record, it makes less noise than my '07 Subaru STi with 9,000 miles, which has ticked since day one and runs like scalded dog. :biglaugh:

Mike

Buller...Bueller...Bueller....

I can hear the crickets chirping! :biglaugh:

Anyone?

Mike

Normal. It's about due for valve clearance check so I'm sure that's a bit of the noise.

Mark

You know, the more I listen to this, the more I can't decide where it is coming from. I am going to get a mechanic's stethescope and figure it out. I am begiining to think this clicking is from the bottom end, and not the valvetrain.

Rebuilding this thing is not going to be a joy now that the heat is on down here in SE Louisiana.

I wonder if my wife will mind the bike being in the dining room?:biglaugh:

I guess it would be better to air condition the shed. :cheers:

Mike

You know, the more I listen to this, the more I can't decide where it is coming from. I am going to get a mechanic's stethescope and figure it out. I am begiining to think this clicking is from the bottom end, and not the valvetrain.

Rebuilding this thing is not going to be a joy now that the heat is on down here in SE Louisiana.

I wonder if my wife will mind the bike being in the dining room?:biglaugh:

I guess it would be better to air condition the shed. :cheers:

Mike
..ride it ride it hard dont wory about it

I hear you! There is always the 1500 transplant, right!?!:eusa_dance:

Mike
well it gets to a point where if you feel something is wrong id trade it in and get on something else not sure what year you have...new 06 can get for
$9750.00 use yours as a down payment ..your trade in and the 1500 you would of spent is a good head start on a new ride with small monthly payments probably around 60 a month like mine ...most months i make triple payments some months just single payment.....nothing like new ...new max in your hands knowing what you know now will last a long long time with no problems

As long as it is ticking you are fine. A loose rocker/valve is better than tight. My GTO sounds like a sewing machine and my VW bug also ticks like a mo-fo. I also have an 85 with 46k on the odometer with a fair amount of ticking.

Per Clymer's Manual

Intake valve clearance .004-.006 in

Exhaust valve clearance .010-.012 in

That's a decent amount that you will definitely hear valve train noise.

As long as it is ticking you are fine. A loose rocker/valve is better than tight. My GTO sounds like a sewing machine and my VW bug also ticks like a mo-fo. I also have an 85 with 46k on the odometer with a fair amount of ticking.

Per Clymer's Manual

Intake valve clearance .004-.006 in

Exhaust valve clearance .010-.012 in

That's a decent amount that you will definitely hear valve train noise.

Yeah, my STi sounds like a sewing machine as well. The bike runs pretty strong, so I am not going to sweat it. I am going to get the valves adjusted as soon as it is feasible. I am only concerned that it is from the bottom end, and not the top.

As far as trading it in for a newer bike..I considered it. However, I do not want another payment on top of what I already have and the bike is not my primary mode of transportation...it is a toy that gets maybe 100 miles a week put on it.

Mike

Put another 40 miles on it today and while it is noisy...it really runs well. Wow, with the new clutch this bike really is quick.

Back