Ticking noise from front cam

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RempageR1

Reaction score
Hi,

Since a while, I hear a steady ticking from the upper part of my engine. When the engine is cold, it runs fine but when it warms up, you can hear a ticking noise. Using my stethoscope, I checked all around the engine and the noise is definitely the loudest around the front right cylinder head cover. This is the bolt that goes into the exhaust camshaft bearing.

The sound itself is a steady sound that does not change and keeps up with the RPM, it does not advance or trail when blipping the throttle.

So far, I`ve checked the clearances, which seem to be fine. Two years ago, I replaced the valve seals and lapped the valves. All was fine afterwards but now the ticking noise starts.

Since I`m tearing this engine apart for a new gearbox this winter I would like to hear your suggestions on stuff that I should check.

Thanks!

Check and make sure it's not something like the fan transferring noise into the engine. Any engine related noise should change pace with the rpm

Are u still riding with the original front headers? Maybe a loose inner tube

Check and make sure it's not something like the fan transferring noise into the engine. Any engine related noise should change pace with the rpm
Hi Sean: That`s what I meant with: "does not change and keeps up with the RPM". It does not advance or trail the RPM but changes with it, not like a resonating sound or such. Fans and such were not on at the time and touching any panels like the radiator doesn't change it.

Are u still riding with the original front headers? Maybe a loose inner tube

Thanks, 5 years ago I did have a loose inner tube but those downpipes have been replaced. The new pipes are still quite new and the sound doesn't resemble the noise I had then. Nevertheless I will check this during engine teardown.

Last edited:
I had what your describing in #2 cylinder last summer during wide open throttle tests in 3rd gear.
I stop the bike and make the jetting change, fire it back up and heard that sticky lifter sound. Two different runs we heard it. When I finally got the mains right, I changed the oil and added a can of BG MOA. I haven't heard it since, probably helps that I'm not running 9k tests anymore.
I don't usually use any "magic in a can" cure's but I do trust BG products.

i know this is an old thread but your rubber plug for the cam journal may have come apart. i had this happen to mine and had to clean all the pcs out. This is just another poss

Currently, this is the status:
IMG-1613.JPG

Before I tore the bike apart, I made a video of the sound while filming the tach. It reads 800RPM, and just played the video at 50% speed, counted exactly 354 ticks. So thats more or less 50% so it`s definitely a cam-sound. All components look good although I did find 1 inlet valve which was at 0.10mm, which is just outside the 0.11mm clearance. As I do not expect that to be the cause of the sound I`d like to again ask for options to check.

All springs take about the same force to move them, all lifters rotate freely and visually I cannot find a thing wrong(rubber plugs also look good). Help is appreciated :)

Well, I used plastigauge to check the camshaft journal oil clearance and that seems to be off. The maximum clearance is 0.05 and mine is 0.075... What would be the effect of the clearance being out of range? Could that be the cause of the ticking? Thanks.

Back