ID of wire harness

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, I have a wire harness, how can I ID it? I want to know if it's for the 1985-'89 or the 1990-'07. I know the early has two pick-up coils & the late has one. Anyone got some pics that would show me or can you give me a description of what to look-for? Thanks.

Okay, I have a wire harness, how can I ID it? I want to know if it's for the 1985-'89 or the 1990-'07. I know the early has two pick-up coils & the late has one. Anyone got some pics that would show me or can you give me a description of what to look-for? Thanks.

Count the number of pins in the connector from the main harness that connects to the pickup coil harness from the engine, if it has two pins it is for 1990~2007 if it has several pins it is for 1985~1989

Side stand connector is blue 2 pin for 90-07 vs white larger 2 pin for 85-89.
Pickup coil connector is 2 pin connector w/ 1 orange and 1 black wire for 90-07 vs 6 pin connector (using only 5 wires/pins) on the 85-89.
Starter relay is 2 pin connector on 90-07 vs a single bullet blue/white wire connection for 85-89.
Turn Signal relay is 6 pin connector for 90-07 vs a LOT of pins for the 85-89 (can't remember how many of them from memory)
Color of coil wire connectors changed though can't remember which years had the bright yellow connectors.
And some other misc differences

Damon, Sean, thank-you for your prompt responses. I'm not where I can check them now, but tomorrow I will, I appreciate the assistance. This will help push forward the restoration process.

Back