Igniton pickup issue??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryFor88

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 94 Vmax with no spark. I had problems last summer because it was intermittent, but since it was parked for the winter and I tried to start it the other day, it had no spark at all.

I had posted a thread here last summer when it was doing it intermittently, but I couldn't find the post.

Well I figured what the hell, I'd buy a Dyna 3000 CDI and that would fix it. But after I installed the module yesterday it would flash the red led once when the key was turned on, but it wont flash when its cranking. I'm guessing that the pickup is the problem.

I did some reading through some threads here and seen a guy that got one from OZ Motorsports and he paid about $150 for it. I had my wife call them today while I was at work to see if they had it and the guy told her $140. Well I got home this afternoon and called them back to buy it and he wanted $375 for it when I called. I wish I would have told her to buy it when she called earlier today, but I didn't. Damn price gougers!!

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction so I'm not just throwing parts at it. I didn't mind putting the Dyna on it because it'll gain some horsepower in the end, but I don't want to buy a pickup for that much and it not be the problem.

Also, does anyone know of another salvage yard that may be cheaper?? And is replacing the pickup going to be very involved??

Any help or assistance is appreciated. Thanks, Gary

You need to see my Muscle Section and the electrical testing program. I'd probably be cheaper anyway if you did need one.

Sean

I thought this was as good as a place post my problem,HELP,no spark on #1 once she starts, while turning its there but as soon as she starts it gone bike will run for a few minutes then die, (die= stop running, will crank but wont start)let it cool down and she starts again. recent work was starter clutch and stock RR making 13.5 -14.8 for the few minutes shes run. sorry for the interuption ,she started again and I needed the laptop to she what was going on, no drop in voltage before stalling just stops.OH yeah,ive changed out the coil for that cyl, 3 times (i have and extra set)took apart the harness from the battery down the left side of the bike found nothing suspicious, cleaned everything and put dielectric grease, no changes,whats next ,pic-up coil? could i have hurt it doing the starter clutch?

You could have since it's in the cover. If you need to borrow one to test with let me know.

Sean

Thankx Sean, I have a spare motor,so tonight Im goin to take that whole cover and swap it out onto my bike and see what happens, when I get the one thats on there off is there anything I should look for that would indicate a problem.

Not sure other then check the wires to see if you broke one.
Sean

Hi Sean:

Where is the "electrical testing program" you mentioned? I can't seem to locate it, and I'd love to use it.

Thanks.

Elimax

I was carefull and bungeed the cover up out of the way while I replaced the starter clutch,the wires do seem to be "brittle" on the out side,Could it be brorken and i cant even see it? it is a 24 year old pickup,Ill find out tonight

Yes, anything is possible. You can do a test on the wires. The manual shows how to check continuity (though the early manuals were wrong and had the correction in one of the supplements in the front of the book).

Sean

I think I got it!,changed out the pickup unit for one from a spare motor, and the bikes running much better. I think this may have been an underliying problem since I bought the bike,that cyl has always been trouble sum,weak spark,easy fouling,ect...now do I leave the 21 year old pickup in there (russian roullette) or pull the trigger, and buy a new one? any oppions. my son got me a price on the pickup unit,its $320 his cost new.

Last edited:
You don't want to price a new one ($640 new)!!! Use your old one and if it poops out I can probably sell you another used one lol!

Sean

I think I got it!,changed out the pickup unit for one from a spare motor, and the bikes running much better. I think this may have been an underliying problem since I bought the bike,that cyl has always been trouble sum,weak spark,easy fouling,ect...now do I leave the 21 year old pickup in there (russian roullette) or pull the trigger, and buy a new one? any oppions.
my son got me a price on the pickup unit,its $320 his cost new.
:punk:I thought that was alot,I guess he was getting me a deal!

Back