Installed the COPS the performed the SHOTGUN

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpick77

Reaction score
Finally had some time to work on the bike last night. It's been raining here in WV constantly and not a lot of time for riding. COPS install went pretty smooth. Thanks Blaxmax! Took a while to remove the coils. All four coils had cracks and this is a 2006 with low mileage. Tore into the carbs. Didn't get any junk out of the bowls after draining. Idle air screws were pretty corroded. Thank you ethanol. The carbs had never been tampered with and I had to drill out the plugs. My question is that all idle air screws were between 1 and 1 1/2 runs out except one it was 2 1/2. Is that normal from the factory???? Should I just turn them all 1 1/2 and go?? Anyways. Big thanks to all on the forum. Hard to believe working on one of these bikes without you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the different A/F mixture settings is normal. The factory actually set them with a CO meter. Most people on the forum start with 2.5 all the way around, and see how it goes.

Some people will set the A/F screws by turning 1 IN at a time, and when the bike starts to stumble, the will back it out 1/2 a turn.

Me personally I had good luck using a temp gun on the exhaust about an inch out of the head (aftermarket exhaust only) I found that the rear cylinders were a couple hundred degrees hotter than the front, so I set the rears 1/2 a turn more than the fronts. So, if the fronts are 2.5, then the rears would be 3 turns out. I did that to balance the carbs more than anything else.

But, use which ever method works for you.

I use a carbtune syncronizer to set the a/f mixture. I turn the screw out until the rod reaches it highest point on the gauge then turn back in 1/8 turn. Rarely are any the exact same but close to 2 1/2-3 turns. Good to hear your cops are working well.

97ffe5f9c4943a24bd2d38d53925c8d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, mine were all cracked along the bottoms where it could not be seen before removal, I figured with less than 17k on the clock they had to be fine, It ran fine but after install of the COPs it was clearly more crisp, easier to tune and idle was more solid. For the price, advantages and ease of installation I cant believe everyone hasn't done this upgrade.

Check these bitches out, I wonder how many people have coils like this and dont even know it. Oh yea, gravity is not a friend of these things either. I'm glad to be rid of these, I wont miss the HT leads either.

Attachments

• DSCN2097.jpg
    DSCN2097.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 34
Wow, mine were all cracked along the bottoms where it could not be seen before removal, I figured with less than 17k on the clock they had to be fine, It ran fine but after install of the COPs it was clearly more crisp, easier to tune and idle was more solid. For the price, advantages and ease of installation I cant believe everyone hasn't done this upgrade.

Check these bitches out, I wonder how many people have coils like this and dont even know it. Oh yea, gravity is not a friend of these things either. I'm glad to be rid of these, I wont miss the HT leads either.
Mine are the originals from 1985 and not 1/2 as bad as yours----

Attachments

• CIMG1359.jpg
    CIMG1359.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 31
Mine are the originals from 1985 and not 1/2 as bad as yours----

Well I can piss my name in the snow, in calligraphy! :rofl_200:

Actually what I meant to say is THANK YOU for the COPs kit, its a pretty freaggin sweet upgrade. My guess is mine are so bad from the weather extremes over here, near as I can tell this bike has been local since new. With the COPs and a few jetting errors corrected I'm amazed at how solid and powerful a max can be.

Well I can piss my name in the snow, in calligraphy! :rofl_200:

Actually what I meant to say is THANK YOU for the COPs kit, its a pretty freaggin sweet upgrade. My guess is mine are so bad from the weather extremes over here, near as I can tell this bike has been local since new. With the COPs and a few jetting errors corrected I'm amazed at how solid and powerful a max can be.
You are certainly welcome-And I meant for an '85 model I expected them to be a LOT worse.

I wonder if the composition of the outer shell changed over the years, maybe the farmed it out to China or something.

It doesnt often get much over 100 deg here but the winters can dip well below 0. I think that probably accelerates things like this happening.

I wonder if the composition of the outer shell changed over the years, maybe the farmed it out to China or something.

It doesnt often get much over 100 deg here but the winters can dip well below 0. I think that probably accelerates things like this happening.
Says 'made in japan'-who knows----3 to 4 months of 120 degrees here 3 more at 90+
I would think it would be the cold going to hot now.

Says 'made in japan'-who knows----3 to 4 months of 120 degrees here 3 more at 90+
I would think it would be the cold going to hot now.

I'm sure the cold has more to do with it than the heat, that being said as badly as mine were cracked the bike still ran and ran well enough that I thought my only problems were carb tuning. Yours look great for being over a quarter century old so I guess I cant say they are bad but I'm comfortable in saying that the COPs are way better.

I'm sure the cold has more to do with it than the heat, that being said as badly as mine were cracked the bike still ran and ran well enough that I thought my only problems were carb tuning. Yours look great for being over a quarter century old so I guess I cant say they are bad but I'm comfortable in saying that the COPs are way better.

Just saying that the COPS that are out there, the secondary voltage is about the same as the stock coils. The improvement comes from replacing bad ignition parts.

I believe the stock coils are 30000 volts, and the COPS are 28000....or maybe vice versa. I will have to dig thru my files.

I have a secret weapon I put in each set I sell and every member that has bought a set has seen a difference. I'll never tell.

Back