Installing Shift Light

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if I can drill into the speedometer housing to mount the bracket with a very short screw without jacking things up inside?

I’d be drilling just behind the chrome bezel where the cup starts.

Well I said damn the torpedoes full speed ahead (after speaking with Sean for advice) I drilled a tiny hole in the speedo cover (it is plastic) after looking at some break down pics on eBay and mounted the sucker.

Attachments

• IMG_5727.jpeg
    IMG_5727.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
That looks like a good application for a nut-sert that mounts like a pop rivet

Using a self-tapping screw in a plastic speedo housing I'd liken to attempting to drill a hole in an eggshell. If it worked for now, good for you. I'm no machinist, but self-tapping screws usually have a coarse pitch, not conducive to staying torqued tight over time in a thin material where there is probably only one 360 degree of screw thread in the material, and the assembly is subjected to the force of airflow and low-amplitude, high-frequency vibration from the motorcycle engine.

How about using some JB Weld to epoxy a threaded nut to the inside of the speedo housing? That way, the speedo housing would only be used as a 'sandwich-filling' between the head of a small machine screw and the epoxied machine screw nut. Radio Shack would have had all-sorts of different sizes of small machine screws and nuts. Cut the threaded length to what you need to 'capture' the nut. Maybe scratch-up the area where the JB Weld would be placed, to give the smooth die-cast plastic some 'tooth' to better adhere, and to hold the nut more-securely.

Here's my astro nut-sert tool, for larger fasteners. I have another one, I think it's an Arrow, for much-smaller nut-serts, the gun is sized like a pop-rivet tool.

astro large nut-sert.01.pngastro large nut-sert.02.png

Back