is this(idle) typical

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daves86vmax

Reaction score
my 86 seems to be running really well right now and it has been for a while,but i'm noticing more often that the warmer it is getting now(mid 80's)and when i get into stop and go traffic that it seems to be idling kinda differently like it's lopeing or maybe even missing at idle and almost wants to die on me if i just let it go on that way without blipping the throttle .once i get going again and the engine temp gets back to about 3 oclock on the gauge all is fine again until it heats back up.any tips to check or does anyone else have this issue?thanks in advance

yeah,i sort of had this issue on a much larger scale when i got the bike.it would hardly stay running.i noticed the plug wires were arcing off the frame and valve covers.new wires and boots and it was fine.also when i stop sometimes and its hot when i restart it it cranks really slow like the battery is low.but as it sits and cools a little it fires up like normal.without looking back through the archives here does this sound like the regulator/rectifier issue to anyone?

My '86 did the same thing when I first got it, but it actually kept dying when hot idling, and then was difficult to restart.

The shotgun helped some, but then it came back again so I took my carbs off and cleaned them properly - check out my posts with pictures in the carb/tuning subforum.

Since doing that, it's been fine. Sometime when very hot it still idles a bit funny, but never dies so it's all fine by me.

Same weird electrical shiite here - only when HOT and at idle. An occasional spark jumping here or there over to the valve cover or frame. Hard to restart.

Going through the starter solved the hard to restart part. Cleaning up the R/R connections, and running a good ground wire from it (OEM 85) to frame solved the charging issues. Then I modded the battery box to fit the larger group 18 battery. Knock on wood - I haven't had the weird electrical shiite happening since.

Back