Just an idea ? Is it possible ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbarrie

Reaction score
Guys:

Who ever read the thread about the hard starting when hot will know what I talking about. If you haven't, take a look, then you'll know what I'm getting at.. Anyways, it got me to thinking, ( great thread by the way ) instead of installing a headlight switch. Is it possible to install some kind of device ( timed switch - ???? whatever )

The whole idea being, as soon as you turn on the key, the power is sent to this gizmo - so the power to the headlight is interrupted for a few seconds - as the battery is able to supply the starter more efficiently.
In hopes to increase the life and stress on the battery along with starting problems. I know how to wire a switch, however this option if possible would eliminate the need for one plus - forgetting to turn on after the bike has started.:a014:

Anyone, is there such a device.

My 03 has that already, light turns off while starting, are the 93 different?
Hard starting in hot could be a sign of coils or other electrical problems.

Robbarrie said:
Guys:

Who ever read the thread about the hard starting when hot will know what I talking about. If you haven't, take a look, then you'll know what I'm getting at.. Anyways, it got me to thinking, ( great thread by the way ) instead of installing a headlight switch. Is it possible to install some kind of device ( timed switch - ???? whatever )

The whole idea being, as soon as you turn on the key, the power is sent to this gizmo - so the power to the headlight is interrupted for a few seconds - as the battery is able to supply the starter more efficiently.
In hopes to increase the life and stress on the battery along with starting problems. I know how to wire a switch, however this option if possible would eliminate the need for one plus - forgetting to turn on after the bike has started.:a014:

Anyone, is there such a device.

You are talking about a 12volt "time delay on energization" or TDOE relay; but I don't think you don't need one.

The headlight kill switch for me is really handy for allowing the battery to charge (or at least drain less) when just idling.

All the bikes I have ever had (V45's, V65's, one 1100 Virago (hated it) and the Max have a relay that kills the headlight when the start relay is energized. The dimming you see is not from load on the starter it is actually being turned off.

This is one of the best "accidental" design features of a lot of bikes as it is really handy for using the starter button to flash the headlights when your not sure that oncoming driver with the left turn signal on sees you. When the bike is in gear the start button will still flash the headlight but will NOT energize the starter.

Thanks, that is the answer I was after. As you said, now I know that the light dimming is not from the load on the battery. Plus the tip about hitting the starter button to flash is a great tip. Your awsome.

Learn something new on this forum everyday !!!

Have a great day guys.

Back